Can there be potty training regression in split homes?

My boyfriends son is 2.5 years old and we are working on potty training him but whenever we sit him on his mini toilet he starts to get upset and almost cry. Throughout the process we praise him letting him know he’s doing such a great job etc. on the other hand, the child’s mom says that when he needs to go potty he will tell her or will take her to the bathroom with him.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago

That’s a good age to start. It will be hard my son has been trained for a year already he still won’t let anyone but me take him takes practice

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pippin
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

If he's crying and upset, then obviously he's NOT ready. 2 1/2 is on the early side of 'average' for potty training, so there is no rush. If his life is already disrupted by moving back and forth between homes, don't make it worse.

• Tulip
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Obviously he's not ready back off

• Richelle11 months agoReport

That’s what we were doing since he wasn’t showing US signs that he was ready, but if he is going potty in another household we want it to be consistent for him

• 11 months ago

Yes, it can be quite common to have a setback, and eventually they’ll return to the schedule. You may want to try a different reward or tactic, such as singing a song during, or offering a small treat afterward.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • y
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

And? Both are techniques used, neither is wrong nor right. Never understood the rush except parental talking points, they all get there eventually. This is the way it often works in split homes, these are also the type of things that lead to frustration. Thing is, even in homes where the parents are together there are many situations. The parents don't agree on or believe in different styles. In the larger scheme, it really means nothing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.