Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 months ago

How do I convince my parents to get a second dog?

even when I tell them this I have done lots of research on the breed. I will pay for everything. i will walk it. I will care for it They still say no. The problem is they don't want another dog. they think it will be hard to care for a second dog... how do I convince them?

Don't get it because the costs and patience rises dramatically, don't listen good luck!

• Anton

I have two dogs. They were both six years of age when they were dumped into the pound.

Like you, they said they would walk them and care for them. Until they left home and could not keep them.

The pair I rescued were lucky. The majority of dogs that go into the pound are killed.

Why do you want to kill a dog?

• David

Shoot the first one.

You don't.

You wait until you are an adult with settled lufe circumstances and the expectation they will continue that way for the next 15 years.

• Maxi

You don't, you already have a dog which if they think is hard to care for means you are not doing the walking, training, feeding or paying for, so they already know your 'promise' is false once the 'new dogs' looses it shine ( like the one you already have has)

You don't. They've already given you their answer and you're in no position to get upset and sulky over not getting your way on the matter. Their house, their rules. You've already got a family dog anyway so be grateful for what you've got as most kids who want a family dog don't have one. If you want your own dog then you'll need to move out. Just know you can not legally own a dog if you're not of adult age and finding a dog friendly rental that'll accept your chosen type of dog is going to be a challenge. Go volunteer at a Rescue or Shelter until then.

It will be difficult, because they’re presuming that over time, the novelty of the new dog will wear off, and they’ll be saddled with the responsibility, which they don’t want.

While you live at home, they make the rules. If they say no second dog, then there is no second dog.

Also, as Verulam pointed out, some dogs are very territorial and may not take kindly to a second dog in their territory

• Aiden

Dogs are pack animals and to have just one is unfair. They need a playmate for when there is nobody around to play with them!

You don't/can't. You wait and once you are out in the world, with your own income, accommodation and time (not necessarily in that order) then maybe you can have a dog. Further, your current DOG may not welcome another under 'his' roof.

Listen to your parents - they KNOW. While you live under their roof, you have to respect their decision.