How can I motivate myself to read?

I am comparing Dracula and The Shining for my A-local English literature coursework. I've read The Shining, and I have less than 2 weeks to read Dracula. I'm about 1/4 of the way through, and I keep getting distracted. What can I do?

Favorite Answer

Best is to annotate the main ideas covered in each paragraph in pencil in the margin of the page. It will keep your focus and you can review it too.

• Niall11 months agoReport

That's a good idea, since I'm analysing it anyway.

What I do sometimes is that I put a gummy bear on every few paragraphs or so and so when I reach that paragraph, I get a gummy bear and get to eat it. Another thing I do is that I tell myself that when I'm done, I can forget about it for the rest of my life. And I imagine what the book says in my head. I play a mini-movie of the book inside my head, so I'm entertaining myself.

• Cline Dion11 months agoReport

Forgot to add, you can also put yourself in a distract free area, like put things like your phone, computer, or your sibling into a different room, so you have no distractions available to distract you, forcing you to read the book. For me though, usually, the books the distraction, haha.

Dracula is quite a hard book to read and very long. Why don’t you read a few chapters at a time, go on sparknotes and read a recap of what you’ve read so you won’t lose track of the plot. Set a timer on your desk for half hour of pure solid reading, and I bet you could read fifty pages in that time. Take a break, read for another 30 minutes and you could beat your target, but hopefully you’ll be so absorbed in the plot, you’ll read more than you think.

Put the phone away and get on with it.

It's OK to be distracted. Get up and stretch, drink some tea, and go back to it.

Just read. What else would you expect people to tell you.

• Logan

If Dracula isn't a requirement of the course then find a new book to read. It's boring for you obviously. Otherwise just set a page limit goal and have at it. 10 pages a day is a hundred pages in 10 days.

Read a postive book.

• Niall11 months agoReport

I have already decided those are the books I'm doing for my coursework. Thanks for the idea though.

• Andrew

You can read the rest of the goddamn book in the allotted time and be mature enough and responsible enough not to allow things to distract you from the task at hand.

Is this really something that you were compelled to solicit advice from strangers in dealing with?

Small wonder that the world is going to Hell in a handbasket when young people need to ask "How can I motivate myself to do the bare minimum of what I'm being asked to do?"

2 weeks? When I was at school we'd have a period of a few days to put away a 400 page book. 2 weeks? You're laughing.

14 days is sound out to get that done. Holy Hell.

And you asked the same fecking question 4 times in the span of 20 minutes.

• Niall11 months agoReport

Nothing, but our world is already run by idiots, from your generation. "Surrendering this world" to the younger generation will either change nothing, or change things for the good. There are ancient texts showing resentment for younger generations, and they're never as bad as people expect.

Tell yourself you can masturbate after x number of pages

• Niall11 months agoReport

Haven't tried that one before.