Is there such a thing as drinking too many fluids in general?

I spend a lot of time sitting at a desk and, I suppose its somewhat of an addiction, but I always have to have something in front of me to drink. Just sitting at a desk, throughout the day, I drank a bottled iced tea, two small drip coffees, two or three decafs, and a couple tea's. And I just started wondering; is there such a thing as just drinking too many beverages a day?

• John

there is a limit to how much liquid you can safely drink at once, but you'd really have to push yourself to get there. you wouldn't be able to do it by accident. just sipping on a drink throughout the day isn't going to harm you

"a bottled iced tea, two small drip coffees, two or three decafs, and a couple tea's"

This isn't going to be getting anywhere near "too many fluids".

There is a condition (hyponatremia) where your bodily fluids become too diluted from drinking too much water. Once the bodily fluids are too dilute nerve impulses can't move properly. Then pretty much everything collapses.

I just read somewhere that sometimes incontinence can be attributed to drinking too many fluids.

If your pee is clear, you ARE drinking too much. If not and your pee is pale yellow you are fine.

Not drinking enough can lead to kidney stones.

• rena

Water intoxication, also known as water poisoning, hyperhydration, overhydration, or water toxemia is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside safe limits by excessive water intake. Incredibly rare and difficult to achieve.

Drinking too much water can actually be fatal. Usually from a build up of intercranial pressure as your brain swells. This is, in part, on account of hyponatremia, which is too little salt (specifically sodium) in the blood. Which is bad as the sodium is an important electrolyte for normal cellular functions to take place and helps balance the proportion of water in and outside cells. When the balance is reverse, water can flood the cells causing them to swell and potentially burst. If these are brain cells, that's bad.

But we are talking 10-20 litres in a couple of hours or something silly. Death is unlikely, as that is A LOT of water, but making yourself seriously unwell is a distinct possibility if you chug 5 or 6 litres an hour, which is far more feasible to actually be able to consume.

• Petter

Nah, all it will do is make you run to the toilet all the time.