kikiwhippleaj asked in PetsRodents · 8 months ago

My female pet mouse seems to be acting strange.?

I adopted a pet mouse around two months ago and she seemed to be pretty young. I don t think she is sick, but I feel like she is acting super weird. She s always running around and jumping, and carrying her stuff around the cage. She also covers her food in bedding so I have to remove the bedding from the food bowl every few hours. She will take treats from my hand, but whenever I put my hand near the bars it seems like she s desperately trying to bite and scratch me. She also tries to chew on the bars and climb them all the time.

Favorite Answer

Actually, the behavior doesn't sound strange, but a few things about mice may be in order.

They are a social animal and females should be kept in pairs or more to be rally happy.

Their cage should be a good size, bigger is better, with lots of amenities for enrichment.

They chew,,it is needed to keep their teeth healthy and should have chew logs and toys for that.

The covering food with bedding, don't worry about that, they do that in the wild with any stored foods.

They need to be active, anything to keep them busy, playing socializing exploring new things.

An empty TP roll, or small brown paper bag will keep them busy a long time.

Trick training,,a lot of tricks they can learn being smart little animals and that can be fun for the keeper as well, just in spending quality time with your pets. Unless you nurse one from a pup, don't expect them to seek you out for attention, petting or cuddling, food and treats are their motivation.

I will start with a video, Creek valley critters channel is mostly about mice, my take on a great way to learn all about them. you can see in the videos some of their cage setups. My last 5 had a big tank sort cage, a homemade aquarium like and literally a Disneyland for mice. None seem to care much for running wheels but had so much more for climbing and exercise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2PXAEoEGlA

Youtube thumbnail

One of a number of good channels about pet mice:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=creek...

Nothing I know can compare to my little Yogi, an orphaned week old house mouse I raised. He lived alone and never saw another mouse. he could explore the back yard, always came when called. Probably the closest bond I had with any animal and had plenty in my day. One smart little mouse.

Hope this helps.

• Thank you very much for your advice.

• patty

maybe taken away from mother too early.

If you are going to keep it as a pet, I suggest getting a care book. It will inform you of all of these “strange” things it does. Some are normal.

If she’s jumping around wildly, she’s nervous.

Mice have to chew on cages or just about anything to grind her teeth down. Mouse (as well as all rodents) teeth grows continuously so they need to chew or else their teeth will grow and puncture their skull (it’s like that Simpsons episode where Lisa needs braces or else her teeth will grow and come out of the top of her head.

• audrey

Possibly she's doing a mouse version of coming in heat.