Should I stay in a hotel before I move to a new town (to see what its like)?

I'm planning on moving next year (or sooner if I really like the college town etc...) But I'm thinking should I stay in a hotel for a long time (like 2 weeks to a month) to get an actual idea of what living there would be like? I've been their quite a few times. But I've never stayed their longer than a week before. Then find I could apartments that are actually safe when its day and night and not just one or the other etc...? It will also be my first time moving out too. (If that matters).

Favorite Answer

When I was a kid, my parents insisted on seeing the room before staying in it. And if you are considering moving there that sounds like a good idea. Anything to keep from making a big mistake.

But my nephews went away to school and stayed 4-5 years. They did not really test it out. Of course their dad graduated from there.

Plus you will need a job there before anyone will rent to you.. and decent credit.

That can get expensive but you may have to considering you will also need to find a job before you will be considered as a tenant by a landlord. If you are going to school and your parents are covering your lease, you probably don't need to do so, and instead just need to speak to someone who knows the town and is on the same page as to what type of place you are seeking. And then on your next visit you can fit in as many apartment showings as necessary in a day or two.

• DEBS

If you can afford it, but it is expensive. Consider doing research of general areas and find a short term apartment. Many will rent for 3 months (furnished even) so that you aren't committed for a year. It will be cheaper than a hotel.

Also look into airbnb. You may be able to negotiate a good rate for a 2-4 weeks stay.

If you decide to stay and aren't a college student you may have a problem finding a rental. Most landlords require you to have a job.

Seems like a waste of money if you have already been THERE several times. 3 or 4 days should be enough.