Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 9 months ago

My best friend gave me food im allergic to for my birthday?

I have told her many times I'm allergic to peanuts,and for my birthday she bought me 2 bags of peanut candy.I don't know what to think.I thought it was a joke,but its been 2 days since its happened.All she said was " my bad".How would you react/feel if your best friend did this to you?

• Molly
    Favorite Answer

Well, being allergic to nuts is more serious than most allergic reactions, since it can be fatal, and you can die from it. Most allergies aren't fatal, and most of them are manageable because there are creams and medicines to treat them, but there's no cure for a nut allergy.. you eat one, your life will be on the line. So I think you need to explain to her how serious having a nut allergy is, and that it upset you that she responded with "my bad" because it felt like she didn't care that it could be dangerous for you. If you weren't aware of your allergy and you had one, you would be fighting for your life right now, and your friend would be devastated that they didn't know. I'm sure if you make her aware of how dangerous having a nut allergy is, and you could die, that may make her realise that she has to take that into consideration, and she may even feel bad for not realising how serious it is. That will stick with her, and she won't buy you them again.

Some people just don't remember that you can't have something or eat something because of allergies, and you have to explain to them in a way that they'd remember. So if she forgets again, even after you explain how dangerous it can be, then if she gets you nuts, just refuse to have them, and tell her "Nah, can't eat them, I have an allergy to them and I could die, thanks for thinking of me though" Because how many times would you need to tell her when you could just refuse to eat anything with nuts in. She'll eventually get the hint that you can't eat them, but I understand you shouldn't have to do that. It shouldn't take her many times to realise you can't eat nuts.

She must be daft?

Best friend?

If I had a friend who did that to me, I'd stop contact with them, especially after the "my bad" comment.

You left this kind of vague. When you say "allergic", is this one of the very serious nut allergies where you have to carry an epi pen around? Or is it something much more minor? If it's minor, are you sure you're allergic to nuts?

I ask because if this is a serious allergy, I can't imagine one of my best friends doing this, and this goes back to grade school. If it's a milder thing, I suppose she could have forgotten, but that still seems a stretch.

• Foofa

Just keep reminding her that nuts could kill you and maybe eventually she'll get it.

I'd realize my friend doesn't listen. I don't eat sugar and grains and this person i know is constantly offering me foods with both in them. Honestly, i don't know what part of i don't eat sugar and grains she doesn't understand.

So yeah, i feel you.

I would feel that he/she was not really my best friend, and never really had been.

people have their own stuff to remember, nobody is obligated to remember the list of your allergies

• Molly

People like you should not be considered a proper friend if you're only going think about yourself and what's happening with you and not care about your friend and what it could mean for them, and their life. Nut allergies aren't like other allergies, they can be fatal as I mentioned in my answer.

I;d be pretty disappointed