Thalidomide Enantiomers?

50 years ago, pregnant women who were prescribed thalidomide for morning sickness gave birth to children with birth defects. Thalidomide is a mixture of two enantiomers; one reduces morning sickness, but the other causes severe birth defects. Today, the FDA has approved this drug for non-pregnant individuals with... show more 50 years ago, pregnant women who were prescribed thalidomide for morning sickness gave birth to children with birth defects. Thalidomide is a mixture of two enantiomers; one reduces morning sickness, but the other causes severe birth defects. Today, the FDA has approved this drug for non-pregnant individuals with Hansen’s disease (leprosy) or newly diagnosed multiple myeloma, a blood and bone marrow cancer. The beneficial enantiomer can be synthesized and given to patients, but over time, both the beneficial and the harmful enantiomer can be detected in the body. Propose a possible explanation for the presence of the harmful enantiomer.
Update: Sorry I didn't clarify, I'm trying to self study biology from Campbell's Bio, and I came across this question. Since I don't have a teacher or answer key I was just wondering what the actual answer was.
Update 2: I personally though that the body could perhaps have a mechanism of changing the chemical structure using enzymes or such, but that doesn't seem to make much sense.
Update 3: Also I understand that you might be hesitant to answer because it may be a homework question for some classes, but since I really do want to know the answer >.<, can you email it to me?
Update 4: Also nvm, I found the answer on this site I think...