Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

I don't know what to do ?

I'm 17 and I graduated early in January but now I don't know what to do. I wanted to go to Germany at 18 for college but my dad said that it's better to stay in the US for college and then go there to work. But i've been wanting to get out of the US for a while now and that's what I decided and I know at 18 , i'll be an adult but I still don't know what to do because me and my dad had a very poor relationship and it's just now starting to get better and I don't want to mess that up. Is it better to stay in the US for college and then go work in germany or go to Germany directly? I need advice.

Just go, screw it, have some fun

What you haven't told us, and it's really important, is whether you actually can go to Germany to study. You CAN'T just pack a bag and go.

Do you have a passport? Do you speak German? If you do, is it good enough to attend lectures and write papers in?

Have you done research into which German universities you might attend, and do you know what requirements each of them has for a foreign student? What will you do about finance, especially seeing your dad has said he won't help? Can you get financial aid from US and/or German educational sources? What about accommodation? What about paying your airfare to Germany?

If you've considered ALL of this, and more that I haven't thought of mentioning, and are confident you can manage, then I'd say Go.

Things will work out.

• Stasia

go toschool or find your dream

Life is full of uncertainty. Risk is a part of every choice. The threat of failure looms around every corner. If you’re not careful, these hazards can stop you. You can get stuck before you start, not knowing what to do.

• cool

If you think you can cope with having to work whilst you study, then Germany is the better option.

The standards are higher and university courses are free in Germany. Some of the courses are even taught in English.

American universities are too expensive...

Are you fluent in German at a high academic-technical level of proficiency? You could not go to school or work there without that first. University entrance exams are, of course, in German, and so are visa interviews.

If you can get accepted into a German university on a student visa, you must return home immediately upon completion or termination of full-time studies. Student visas are temporary non-immigration visas.

You will never get a job in Germany with merely bachelor's degree. EU rules: jobs go first to citizens of that country, then citizens of any other EU-member country. An occupation has to be in very short supply throughout all of Europe before "outsiders" can be considered. Expect to need minimum of master's degree plus several years of experience in a STEM field, have developed exceptional expertise in a specialization in very short supply, to qualify for temporary employment visa to work anywhere in Europe. And be fluent in the country's language.

Since you are concerned about developing a good relationship with your father, that's your priority at the moment. But the rest of your "plans" are Fantasyland at present.

It's a toss up. How much cheaper is it to go to school in the US versus Germany. Is it easier to get a job in the US versus Germany. Which pays a better salary for your living expenses.

PS... It is not fair to you to not live the life you want, just to accommodate someone else's viewpoints. A better relationship is when both people are strong and whose both needs and wants are being met

• Tavy

Can you speak fluent German ? or do you think schools speak English. And who is going to pay for your tuition?

You cannot just go and work there unless you have a particular skill that they need and cannot find any Germans to do the job.

Sorry but you are deluded. It is no longer possible to just move anywhere in the world, they all have Immigration rules. Sounds as if you have done NO research.

U

• DJC

If you think it is better to go school in Germany, then go to school in Germany. You're an adult now and it's your choice.