Did you know that in countries with stricter gun laws, there are more instances of arson and knife violence?

If someone wants to be violent, they will find a way, even without access to guns. There are plenty of people with legitimate reasons for owning a gun. Do we really want to take away their guns just because a handful of people are bad with guns? I think the biggest problem is that people have become desensitized... show more If someone wants to be violent, they will find a way, even without access to guns. There are plenty of people with legitimate reasons for owning a gun. Do we really want to take away their guns just because a handful of people are bad with guns?

I think the biggest problem is that people have become desensitized to violence and are no longer disturbed by it. I’ll tell you one of the biggest causes: video games. Essentially a mass shooting simulator, they are used in military training to desensitize soldiers to violence. When you play lots of video games, you get very used to killing people. Violence and gore no longer have a shook value to them. If anything, it’s fun. Transitioning from being a gamer to being a mass shooter is very easy: instead of shooting people in a video game, you do it in real life.

Also, another big thing is TV shows and entertainment. Back in the day, TV shows used to be innocent and TV-G ratings were very common. Now, we watch more TV-MA shows than any other rating and TV-G is considered very rare. There is currently no mainstream TV series with a G rating. Both the amount of TV-MA content and the amount of mass shootings have ticked up between 1960 and present. No one is born wanting to be a mass shooter and knowing how to use a gun, they first have to see it on TV and practice with a video game. Video games can enhance one’s hand-eye coordination, which can be very useful for a mass shooter wanting to shoot a person in the worst possible place.
11 answers 11