Why can’t I like and accept myself and how do I do so?

So I’m in high school and I’ve always been known as the person who is “too nice”, and usually if didn’t annoy me, but now as I’m getting older I’m increasingly frustrated with myself and others for this, because I’m always being screwed over by people, and I’m not confident enough to stick up for myself or even... show more So I’m in high school and I’ve always been known as the person who is “too nice”, and usually if didn’t annoy me, but now as I’m getting older I’m increasingly frustrated with myself and others for this, because I’m always being screwed over by people, and I’m not confident enough to stick up for myself or even express my views. I’m often awkward and don’t know how to react in conversations and can’t always tell if someone is joking or being serious, and whenever I realize I’ve mistaken someone’s joke for seriousness I get embarrassed and feel stupid, and like the person thinks I’m dumb too. I constantly feel like people think I’m sweet or cute but that they don’t really want me around/to be a good friend of theirs because they see me as dull. I’m constantly overthinking things but I do often have moments with people when I don’t quite know how to respond to a casual comment of theirs. I’m scared that if I y’all too much people will discover the “truth” -that I am dumb, but I also know that this is holding me back from potentially beating this and gaining confidence which comes from putting myself out there. What should I do? I want to be more confident and happy with myself but is it better to work on the books before talking more? Or should I just go out there?
3 answers 3