promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Marriage rules for American citizen marrying an Australian.?

If I’m an American citizen and get married to an Australian resident and we file everything in Australia but not the United States then can I still get married in the United States (as an American to another American). Also we’d be living in Australia most of the time.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Only one marriage at a time I'm afraid and your marriage in Australia is considered valid in the US...so you're basically talking about bigamy (which is illegal in both countries).

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

You are not marrying any Australian

• 10 months ago

If the foreign fiancé/spouse has no intention of attempting to remain in US, then marriage on tourist visa/ESTA is not a problem. Have the wedding in US, and depart US promptly.

You cannot marry on tourist visa/ESTA & attempt to change status for the foreign spouse to remain. That's visa fraud as tourist visas/ESTA are solely for visits, vacations, and it becomes visa fraud if you attempt to remain.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

No................................

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

If you marry an Australian under Australian law, then that is considered a valid marriage under American law and you are NOT allowed to marry an American in America while still married to the Australian. That would be bigamy, which is illegal.

• 10 months ago

So you're an American and want to marry an Australia in Australia then go back to America and marry an American? ( an American to another American). I think they call that "bigamy", which is illegal in most places.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

You can get married to anyone you want. As long as the marriage is legal in ONE country, you don't have to do it again in another country. BUT you marrying an Australian citizen DOES NOT automatically make her an American, or YOU an Australian.

• 10 months ago

YIKES NO MARRIAGE ENDS IN DIVORCE

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

can you lie and commit fraud? No.

• 10 months ago

No I really don’t feel like it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.