Timing 04 altima 2.5 L?

Is their a default position I can put the crankshaft and camshafts in to ensure the timing is correct? I'm aware that for my car atleast when it's in top dead center the lobes on camshafts point outwards, I just dont know if they are always pointing outwards at tdc. If the revolutions of camshaft and crankshaft are to 1 to 1 it should work but i dont know if they are. If they arent 1 to 1 would I still be able to just put them in that position or would that mess something else due to the timing of something else. If that's not a valid solution how do you suggest fixing the timing if the crankshaft was moved an unknown amount accidentally after camshafts were removed? Please dont suggest professional help I'm a really poor college student. Thanks for any help :)

There are timing marks on the crankshaft cam belt drive gear and on the camshaft gear. You're going to bend all your valves if you don't know what you're doing. Watch a youtube video for replacing the timing belt on your vehicle. It would have been better to just leave the timing belt alone then chance messing the complete motor up!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech / Infiniti Tech
    • Dan

It doesn't have a timing belt.

A Haynes manual will tell you all you need to know about timing marks. It will pay for itself quickly too.

You're a college student and you don't know the difference between ''is there'' and ''is their''? Whoops.

If you're smart enough to get into college you should also be smart enough to buy a used repair manual for your car. At the very least you should be able to find a YouTube video.

• Jon4 months agoReport

Well I scored top 97% on the SAT, and I'm more concerned about my car than spelling, also smart enough to realize a simple post on Yahoo answers is easier than the other **** mentioned so thanks fag

Sounds like you are replacing the timing belt. When the first piston is at top dead center and the valves above that piston are both closed, you are very close. A Nissan service manual or the internet will show you marks to line up to have this right. Compared to what you have already done, this is quite easy.

• Geo

put the Crank Mark at T. Then set the cams.