Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 9 months ago

I have a car but im really scared to drive?

I bought myself a used car with the help of my dad. Although i did not really need it as i worked literally a block away from my house. However, i wanted a car to go somewhere further from time to time. And know i have one but im scared of using it. I haven't driven a car in months after i finally passed my driving test the second time. As i failed my first time. I can drive around my neighborhood and im ok but once i get on 2 ways roadways or new roads i get really scared. How can i overcome this fear?

Find a large empty parking lot and practice just driving the car - get used to maneuvering it, accelerating, stopping suddenly, driving backwards, etc. - take some cones or empty cardboard boxes with you to practice parallel parking or other maneuvers.

When you are more comfortable with the car itself - and know how it will react in various situations, then you will have more confidence in your ability to drive on the road - but don't get too cocky. Some of the biggest problems you will face is distracted and/or incompetent drivers, aggressive drivers, and road conditions (road work, inclement weather, etc).

While you are getting used to driving, avoid high-traffic places and times of day - eventually you will be able to handle yourself in a variety of situations.

Make sure to keep your car in good functioning conditions - good tires, brakes, etc. are essentials, but also regular oil changes, filters, and other things to keep your vehicle tuned up.

It takes many years. I can well remember that for years it felt like the traffic was coming straight at me. I had to reason that cars do not suddenly shift sideways. This will not stop you and I am sure you will enjoy driving away from traffic on the open road, but I should warn you that owners like yourself often find no start situations or other problems caused by not driving the car. so don't get fiscouraged if this happens to you.

• Scott

It is not normal to be scared of driving. Nervous, yes - but there is nothing scary about it. Seek professional help.

• CB

Practice practice practice. It is a learned skill and like any skill it takes some practice until you become more accustomed to the various road situations you will find in your travels. You didn't learn to read without reading did you??