Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 12 months ago

Isn't it bad ettiquitte to eat the last piece of somebody's birthday cake?

It was my birthday yesterday & my dad bought me a delicious chocolate cake. My family never made a big deal over birthdays, so the cake was a great surprise. My mom thinks good tasting snacks are harmful, so we rarely get stuff like cake & cokes unless we sneak buy it ourselves. Anyways, yesterday we had the cake (dad got cokes too) & we had it after dinner. My mom didn't eat any of it, & was saying mean things to my dad about bringing it in the house. I turned 17 & my bro is 19 so it's not like he's poisoning us, but that's what she was getting at. So I ate a big piece, so did dad & my bro. He had 2 pieces. I went to my room because my mom wouldn't shut up. I was going to go get another piece of cake after she went away. She finally went to her room at 8ish to watch or something. So I went to get a piece of cake & it was all gone! My dad had left by then & my bro was long gone, so I texted him & asked why he ate all the cake. He texted back that there was at least a quarter of it still left over when he jammed. I looked in the frig for it but found the empty cake tray in the trash. So I knocked on mom's door to ask if she put my cake down the disposal. I was upset thinking she did. When I stuck my head in her room, I saw a dirty plate on her bedside table with cake crumbs on it. I asked if she enjoyed my b.d. cake & she said no. But still she ate it all. I think she was being hypothetical & rude by eating the last of MY cake. You shouldn't do that. Should you?

Favorite Answer

At least you know that your mom is human, and succumbs to temptation now and then, just like the rest of us. Maybe when she starts in again about eating unhealthy food, all you'll have to do is give her a "look".

Once you left the table, it was assumed that you did not want any more cake. Maybe next time, take another piece of cake with you, or state for everyone to hear, to save you a piece to eat later.

no no no no its bad

i think its rude too

Have a bitchfest about someone's birthday cake and then eat the last piece! She's about as sane as my mother. Let it go. It was bad etiquette to carry on about having a cake in the first place.

• mokrie

She WAS a hypocrite and MORE then mean and rude on your birthday. Wait until her birthday and spend at least an hour yelling in her ear how disgraceful she is by eating (no matter what it is) and then remind her what a hypocrite she is eating all the chocolate cake. She needs a wake up call on her own behavior.

You had a large piece, so did your Dad, your brother had two pieces (brothers always do) and finally your Mum had a piece. Wasn't she entitled to one?

Well, somebody gotta eat the last piece. Don't want to waste it.