nt

Walmart $25 phone?

I bought one tonight with no airtime.

I ONLY need it to set up my chromecast which they said cannot be done without one.

It will be done via wifi.

Can someone confirm this for me?

My first smart phone and will probably return it as I only need it for this task.

Ok, with the help of google, I am casting, Only needed the phone once since I am casting from my laptop

I only bought the phone because I could not set it up without it.

But, in playing with it, its kind of cool too. I just dont think this walmart family phone will work with my tmobile sim card. And I can probably find a cheap phone that will accept the tmobile sim. right?

Yes, the Chromecast has to be setup through a phone via the Google Home App. The main method of control is through your phone. I believe you can cast to it via a PC on the same network, but it may be hit or miss as to what you can cast to it.

You might be better off buying a device that runs on Android TV or a streaming device like a Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, etc. They're more expensive (depending on brand/model), but they're not dependent on a phone.

• nt

Already have a roku tv but for reasons I dont want to get into, I could not get everything on my TV other than netflix. With this device I can now get the stuff I want to see. Its just a little sluggish I guess compared to watching it on my laptop.

You need a smartphone to control the Chromecast. It doesn't have a remote. You will have to download The Google Home app.

There are Android TV boxes thst have a remote.

• Dze

i dont know about a 25$ phone lol .. i use my 60$ one all the time on my own wifi or any free access one with the air time expired ... if it has the ability to get online then yeah it should work no problem as long as you have wifi, you'll have to enter your pass thats it ...

• nt

Says Android. Thats supposed to be all I need. Yes, I know how to enter my password, then find which of 4 spots is chromecast.