Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationHobbies & Crafts · 4 months ago

Advice on Ho train?

I acquired this layout and hooked up an inexpensive power pack. Out of three locomotives they did little more than budge. One lit up at one point . One moved a few feet.

Does this sound like dirty tracks? I did clean the track with mineral spirits. What is the railroadman-like way to solve the problem. Tracks do not look dirty. In my past experience, dirty tracks never stopped the trains.

What is the correct operating volts for HO? Does much trackage require more power pack?

You may have dirty wheels on your locomotives. Take a rag and pour some alcohol on it. Power up your track and place the spinning wheels on the rag. This will clean the wheels. Another issue may be a lack of lubrication to the engines. Use a very light weight machine oil, you don’t need much on the engines’ moving parts.

Sounds like the inexpensive power pack is woefully underpowered.

Most problems with model trains are about dirty track. Clean the tracks.

The answer to your other question is 12v.

• hamnod

sound like bad connection to trackage so crank power up to 24 volt or 30volt if you trackage is old