Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 10 months ago

Can I get my driver’s license in another state?

I’m 15 years old and I live in New Jersey, the ONLY state where you have to be 17 years old in order to get a license. My aunt lives in Connecticut where you get your permit at 16 years old and get your license at 16 and 4 months. I go to private school where a few kids actually do commute all the way from Connecticut, so my address conflicting with where I live for public school won’t affect me. I would only drive myself to and from school and football practice at school, never with anyone else or go anywhere far. Please don’t just tell me to wait those 8 months makes ALL the difference. What lengths would I have to go to in order to get my license in Connecticut?

Nope, that won't work. You can only get a licence in the jurisdiction (state, province, territory, island fortress, etc) in which you actually live, no exceptions. And even if you actually lived in CT, you still couldn't legally drive in NJ.

If you're driving on public roads inside any jurisdiction, you're subject to that jurisdiction's laws and rules. That's how it works, and no exceptions are allowed.

The minimum age for driving in New Jersey is 17 (I'm taking your word for this, because why would you lie), which means anyone under 17 is too young to legally drive in your state. If a kid from Connecticut is 16 years old and has a valid CT driver's licence, that kid still can't legally drive in New Jersey. That's because when you drive in New Jersey, you're subject to the New Jersey driving laws. The laws where you're from don't count for anything, only the laws where you are.

• May

You may only apply for a license in the state of your official residence Snowflake

• Stasia

Patience is a virtue and remember that driving is a privilege; it is not a right.

To get your license in CT you would have to prove you are a legal resident of CT and start over with a CT permit to take the test.

• zipper

Yes you can; BUT IN NEW JERSEY YOU WILL STILL BE AN UNLICENSED DRIVER, the age is 17 regardless of what state the license is from NJ you must be 17!

Nope...You have to be a legal resident of Connecticut to get a drivers license.

In NJ you can get a permit at 16 : meeting certain requirements.

No. You would have to legally become a CT resident, otherwise you have to wait. You cannot become a CT resident unless your aunt were to agree to become your legal guardian and your parents were ok with that.

Even if you can, you still won't be allowed to drive legally. To drive, you must have a license from the state where you live. You cannot drive without a license from the state where you live, even if you have a license from a state where you don't live.

To get a license in Connecticut that you can use to drive, you would have to move to Connecticut.

The other problem is that if you are a teenager, live in New Jersey, and get a license anywhere in the country, then you have to pay thousands of dollars for insurance.

• Andy C

You live where you live, dingus. You'd have to move permanently to Connecticut

Who knew New Jersey would have a law that makes sense?

You would have to establish Ct residency. To do that you would have to show rent receipts, utility bills or whatever they ask. You can't just say you are a Ct resident.

Source(s): I had a similar situation where I had to prove my residency when my parents left the state to move to Florida.