How do you personally increase milk supply when pumping I've been drinking coconut water with pineapple juice that doesn't help to much?

I plan on going back to work soon and scared I won't pump enough I pump 1oz per breast some time 3 oz (1oz on one breast and 2 on the other) I been pumping 1 a day. Today I pumped 2 times. I just know she's going to eat a lot at one feeding so I can only imagine a few hours or when I work a full time job

• KatieC

I always got a big boost after eating oatmeal.

Try drinking Healthy Nursing Tea. It helps with boosting milk supply. Increase your water intake and consume enough calories to keep your breast milk supply!!!

• Foxx4 months agoReport

Is that the mother milk tea taste like black licorice 😖

Some people just don't produce as much milk as others, if you are not producing enough milk, just supplement with formula.

• Foxx4 months agoReport

She won't eat it that's what I'm trying not to do

• Pippin

If you are pumping while she is also nursing on her usual schedule, you won't get a whole lot. But once you are back at work, and several hours have gone by and your breasts are exploding -- you'll be able to pump much more. (And yes, as Tri said, babies often adjust their own schedules, sleeping more and eating less while away from you, and making up for it while nursing more often when you are together.

And yeah, I've never heard of coconut water or pineapple juice being folk remedies for this. Fenugreek, Blessed thistle and oatmeal, yes.

• In

I personally can't produce milk without extensive hormone treatments since I am a guy, but baby formula is nutritionally identical to breast milk and is a convenient substitute. One big advantage to breast feeding is that it helps shed the extra weight gained during pregnancy.

• Foxx4 months agoReport

She won't eat formula I tired it in different bottles she just chokes and refuses to drink it but shell drink my milk if it's in the bottle so ik it's not the bottle

The single best way to increase milk supply is to increase demand. That means when you are home with baby, you're latching as often as possible, with as much skin-to-skin contact as possible.

And remember this - it's EXTREMELY common for babies to take small amounts of breastmilk while Mom is gone, and then cluster feed when she gets home. Generally speaking, the baby won't eat nearly as much away from you as she would when you were home.

While pumping, you want to be comfortable and as stress-free as possible. Don't look at the ounces while you're pumping. I know it's tough, but try not to think about the actual milk supply. Read a book, watch something on your phone. If necessary, put warm cloths on your breasts to encourage letdown and easier flow. Always keep in mind that for the vast majority of women, pumping gets about 25% of what you're actually producing. Which means that while what's in the bottles is less than usual, she's almost certainly more than making up for it when she nurses once you're home. What you pump is not an indication of if you're making enough. Some women get little to nothing when they nurse, but are producing more than enough milk.

Yes, some women have success with herbs. Personally, I prefer a tincture over dried herbs. My favorite is the Nursing Mothers Blend from kerrysherbals.com. Keep hydrated and take in enough calories as well. Coconut water and pineapple juice aren't going to help with production, other than keeping you hydrated and providing calories.

And if it comes down to it, there's nothing wrong with supplementing with formula during your work hours.

• Tri-Harder

And yes, it's totally okay to avoid formula as well. That's where the rest of the post advice comes into play.

I've never tried it, but some people say Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle (or Milk Thistle) supplements did wonders for them