edu asked in TravelCruise Travel · 6 months ago

How much money should I bring on Carnival Cruise?

My girlfriend and I are going on a cruise which is 4 night and 5 days. It is the Carnival Cruise Inspiration. We will be celebrating her 21st birthday so we are going to drink a lot. I don't want to get any drink packages. We won't gamble, spa, or do any kind of specialty dining. It's our first cruise so we are just eating and doing whats included with what I already paid for the cruise. I will just be spending on drinks. So how much money should I take? I was thinking $1,100 just to be safe.

Favorite Answer

If you are going to "drink a lot" I would consider a drink package (which also include things like bottled water, soda, etc.) You seem to be planning on $1100 for alcohol while the drink packages are roughly $50/day/person....which for a 7 day cruise net $700 for two people.

Also, read up on the tipping situation on your cruise. Many cruise lines automatically add a tip at the end to your bill unless you specifically go change it.

Also, many cruise lines are going away from any cash and you just bill to an account that you settle up at the end. So you will want to make sure you have enough when you get to the end (a credit card is used by most people to at least secure the bill just like hotels)

• GEEGEE

Most cruises don't accept cash, except for tips. You link your key card to a credit card, and everything on board gets charged to your credit card. You say you don't want a drink package but that would cost a fraction of the cost of buying individual drinks.

Bring what you need off the ship. You will need nothing on board. Drinks on the ship are pricey so you should consider holding back and tanking up at port stops.

So you're going to drink just for the sake of drinking because you're finally of age? That's pretty silly. Your girlfriend might actually like a lovely spa massage better than drinking all day, every day. Anyway, you can't use cash on a cruise ship. Leave the money in your bank to pay your charge card bill. Take a little cash to use in the ports. There are souvenir shops in every port. It's really a shame to go to the Caribbean and not do a snorkeling excursion or see any of the local area, but whatever. Just don't get so drunk that you annoy other cruisers or fall overboard.

• edu6 months agoReport

because she is of age. and she wants to drink. this is what she wants. we thought about a spa on board but we decided no because we do that often in Monterrey CA anyways. I should have specified in the description that the amount I planned on taking is mostly on card.

• pmt853

No cruise that I have been on or know of takes cash for anything. It's all charged to your room via your room key card. You may need some cash for off ship activities of course.

• bg6 months agoReport

You can still pay with cash if you arrange it ahead of time. You must make pre payments to your acct.

I agree with DCM5150 - drink package probably makes the most sense

• Greg

Are you kidding? Are you not setting up a credit card to pay your account?

That should be good. I'd count on 100 per day per person