Why do American people learn foreign languages if they already speak English?

Hello, I am Brazilian and my native language is Portuguese but I had to learn English because English is a world language most places in the world there are people who speak English.

I learn English because this language is chic and is a world language, but if I were American I would never learn foreign languages because I would already be speaking a world language.

But back to the question, Why do so many Americans learn foreign languages when English is a world language?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Because... English is not a "world language". You, like several million people, have been brainwashed into thinking that English is world's new "lingua franca". The truth is that only a tiny percentage of the world's population speak English at home.

Map showing the % of English native speakers per country:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4...

• 3 months ago

Learning another language gives you more opportunities for careers, school, knowledge, and life besides being a requirement. Plus, America is very diverse too. So why not learn another language? It shows that you care about other people and their culture.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

I’m from England, most of the world speaks English yes, that doesn’t mean anything, I would love to be someone who speaks multiple languages, I have bad memory though, it doesn’t stick.

• 3 months ago

You might if you lived in south Florida. Or in south/ west of the US. Many people speak Spanish.

It was required for a high school ( secondary school) diploma. And that was in the 1970s.

• Pontus
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

then required foreign language for admittance though. More schools today (high schools and colleges) required foreign language credits for graduation, but it still isn't everywhere.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Not all the world speaks English. Some of us like to travel to broaden our education and it would be improper for us to go to another country and expect them to speak English if it isn't their official language.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Why confine yourself to just one?

• 3 months ago

Most don't. Only about 15-20 percent of Americans are bilingual. Many were simply raised that way. Others learn foreign languages for business opportunities, or just for fun.

Personally, I barely have enough room for English vocabulary. I'd love to be fluent in more languages, but oh well.

• 3 months ago

I started learning Spanish, not so much to speak it, but to understand it.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

America is a diverse country, composed of many people from different lands that speak different languages. Why not learn other languages?

• 3 months ago

To broaden ourselves. or for career opportunities

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.