Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 4 months ago

I inherited $27,815 from a long lost Uncle.... what should I do with this windfall?

Vegas or Bust?

What you should do versus what you want to do--that is the question. If you don't have fun with it, you won't be happy now; if you don't save it, you won't be happy later. My suggestion--split it between savings and spending money. You can put, maybe 1/2 of it into something like a money market account that earns good interest and adds a penalty for early withdrawal. Someone at the bank will help you with this. Then have fun with the rest. That way, you'll be happy now and happy in the future both!

A vending machine route. Real Estate

• J.S.

Pay off any of your debts and save the remainder

Las Vegas Sands was way cheaper when I picked in up back in 2009, but it pays a nice dividend and is a little beat up on China concerns atm, so you could pick a little up for your portfolio.

Pay credit card bills and other "smallish" bills and park the rest in the bank until you figure that out. Some ( a few thousand) will be your emergency fund.

• Erik

buy a brand new trollmobile

Invest it. Spend 2k then save the rest and buy mutual funds.

• JetDoc

If you take it to Vegas, you WILL be bust! By all means... Take a few bucks out to play with, but find some nice safe investment to put MOST of it in, so you will have a nest egg for your retirement.

I would get hookers, drugs then a new car. In that order.

• SumDude

Nah. New car first. Easier to attract hookers / gold diggers.

• .

Pay off any debt you have like credit cards or an auto loan. If you have a car that's been costing you a lot of money to maintain, consider upgrading to something reasonable.