daniel asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 4 months ago

canceling or getting a new credit card to get out of a gym contract?

ive been going to this martial arts gym near me. they have a 12 month contract that apparently you cant get out of. ive been going there for about 1.3 years and come to find out the contract renewed itself a couple months back. now im in a work/school situation where i wont be able to attend this gym for the foreseeable future. its not a chain gym its independently owned and the only one. i was wondering if i could just cancel the credit card the account is on to stop them from being able to take any more payments out of my account? if not is there anything i can do to get out of a 12 month contract?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • P
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Read over your state law regarding auto renewing contracts.

https://www.faegrebd.com/-/media/files/collateral-...

For example in my state they are required to notify you that your contract is renewing, so if they did not do that you could let them take you to court and invalidate it. Otherwise you need to understand your obligations to the law and just pay what you owe. Unfortunately it is what it is. You should immediately notify your intent to cancel it by registered letter as soon as possible.

• 4 months ago

Cancelling or getting a new credit card to get out of a gym contract? - that action will have NO impact on you and your contract with the gym.

ive been going to this martial arts gym near me - ok

they have a 12 month contract that apparently you cant get out of - fairly standard practice

ive been going there for about 1.3 years and come to find out the contract renewed itself a couple months back - now there is where you start to be at fault.. Someone in the terms and conditions, it will say that the contract renews itself annually UNLESS YOU CANCEL IT PRIOR TO RENEWAL. You didn't do that apparently.

now im in a work/school situation where i wont be able to attend this gym for the foreseeable future - ok. Well, have you spoken the gym to see if they can suspend your membership or similar ? Worth a try

. its not a chain gym its independently owned and the only one - ok

i was wondering if i could just cancel the credit card the account is on to stop them from being able to take any more payments out of my account? - while cancelling the card will stop them taking payments from your account, it will NOT stop them chasing you for payment.

if not is there anything i can do to get out of a 12 month contract? - what does your contract say with them? You need to speak to the gym and explain the situation. They may be able to help or they may not (in which case you are paying for the rest of the year - but for goodness sake cancel the membership then )

• 4 months ago

Gyms sell these debts to collectors every day...

You can ask for an exception though, being a smaller gym, they might work with you.

• 4 months ago

You are bound by the terms and conditions of the contract you signed. That goes for any and all renewals. It makes no difference how often you show up to use the gym, or whether you show up at all. They are there for you if and when you want to use it. Cancelling your credit card will cause you more grief. They will sue you for the balance owing under your contract, plus penalties and late fees, plus interest, plus attorney's fees, plus court costs, possibly doubling your debt or more. That debt and lawsuit will become public knowledge, which will follow you for life, and affect your credit. Not a good choice. Cancel it per the contract, so that it does not renew into another year. Meanwhile, pay what you owe for the duration of the current contract. Next time, think ahead when you sign a contract. Changes in your life do not affect a contract, ever.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

You cannot get out of a gym contract by deciding to cancel your credit card. If you cancel the credit card, then you will be required to pay the gym another way. If you don't pay the gym, then they will send it to collections and ruin your credit, and they might sue you in court and make you pay.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

they'll sue you, and win.

• 4 months ago

Canceling the card would stop the payments, but it doesn’t get rid of the financial obligation. Instead of just owing on the membership, you would end up owing on the membership, plus late fees, plus trashing your credit.

Go talk to the manager and ask as politely as you can if they would be willing to work with you. Point out things like how you’ve been there over a year, you’ve been a loyal customer, give a poor college student a break, etc.

If they don’t go for that, then maybe you can talk them into something where they suspend your account and let you pick up the time remaining later.

In any event, talking to them is a much better course of action than just stiffing them.

• 4 months ago

All you can do is appeal to their better nature. Check your contract - there is an almost one hundred percent chance that there is a clause in there obligating you to keep an active credit card on file with them - which means that you can't cancel the card without breaching your contract (which opens you to additional penalties).

• CB
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Call them and plead your case. Likely you will get out of the contract since you were there more than a year and it auto renewed without your signature.

• CB
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Any Gym who wants goodwill and/or repeat business would refund the amount or at least a pro--rated amount - thumbs downer - #dumbasshit

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

They'll just send you to collections. That's not the way to get out of a contract.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.