kimmy asked in PetsDogs · 9 months ago

how do u potty train a dog?

● "How do u potty train a dog?"

I don't.

I know that the canine anatomy is NOT designed to sit on a potty.

What I do is HOUSE-train the pup I've bought or retained from my litter.

It HELPS to have a roofed exercise pen outside, with a raised sleeping box at the far end, so that the pup can piddle-poo whenever it wants to, and quickly EXPECTS to do those OUTSIDE your house.

While a pup is still with the litter it is part of, they DO have turns in my house with me - I prepare the den floor with several layers of old newspaper to protect the carpeting. The kitchen floor is lino-tiled, which is easy to clean if the inside pup piddle-poos while I am concentrating on such as making a sandwich or a cuppa. I walk the corridor between those 2 areas FAST, so that the inside pup concentrates on keeping up with me.

You have to PAY ATTENTION to Pup, and learn its SIGNAL for "Wanna go toilet!" (That is usually an anxious, nose-down circling, trying to find a spot that smells right.) You then pick Pup up and - talking happily to it - carry it to the spot outside (grass? pen?) or inside (floor protected by a sheet of plastic covered with sheets of old newspaper). You there put it down and stand boringly still & silent until Pup remembers what it wanted to do, so does it. You then instantly praise Pup (e,g: "Bella went TOILET! Good girl TOILET!") and, if she is within reach, rub her where she LIKES being rubbed (between the front legs? On the croup? Maybe at the base of an ear?).

You SHOULD, within 2 days, have learned Pup's timings for "Wanna go toilet!":

-- how long after waking;

-- how long after eating or drinking;

-- how long after exercise or play;

and therefore be CLOSE to Pup, ready to pick her up as soon as she starts her signal.

If you foolishly didn't pay attention early enough from close enough, you can TRY to temporarily stop the action by using your best imitation of a basso "NOO!" and one foot-stamp as you race towards her. But it is not a reliable "stopper" - hence the need to PROTECT the flooring until you are sure of her timing & signal.

I was pleased to see that the link [Maxi] supplied says almost the same as I've been using since Easter 1967. (I wasn't allowed to bring my boyhood pup into the house.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

😛 To discuss GSDs, join some groups such as

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GSD_Friendly/i...

by sending an e-mail about yourself to the Subscribe address on that page.

The people in them KNOW about GSDs. Plus you can include several actual photos in your posts.

To find other groups or breeds, type the breed-name into the top field of

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir

then choose a couple of groups to Join - use the group's

Message History

on its /info page to make sure that it still has members who are ACTIVE.

😛 Also join

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/The_GSD_Source...

so that you can easily look up all sorts of information about dogs, especially GSDs. It is an "encyclopaedia" group (to which members can ask for new sources to be added), not a discussion group.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950; GSD breeder & trainer as of 1968

Use a shock collar. My basset hound puppy was housebroken in 2 days thanks to the fine people at PetSafe.

you walk it very frequently put simply

By lettin' him meet the neighboors's grass

For mine, I kept them in a crate whenever I couldn't watch them. Then, start by taking them outside every 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the age/ability of the dog to hold it. For example, I took my puppy out every hour, but to housetrain my older dog, I took her out every three hours because I trusted she could hold it that long. Slowly increase the time between potty breaks, like increasing the time by 30 minutes after three days of no accidents. If you catch them peeing in the house, rush them outside. Always give treats and make a big fuss over them when they go outside.

Well, there are all kinds of ways of potty training a puppy. First I would google my question & see what kind of results come up. I would find the the way that would fit for you & your dog.

Some people tie the dog to themselves, so the pup is in sight at all times. Watch for the body language or posturing to pee or poop & run that pup out the back door to where you want them to pee & poop.

Some people use a child's gate to keep the pup in one room, what ever room the back door is in. Might even consider putting in a dog door.

Check out some of the videos on how some do it. It is pretty much all the same thing, just different circumstances to work with.

You may use puppy pad for such purpose.

You don't. They can't flush. Try housebreaking instead.

• Aged Kiwi

"housebreaking" is what burglars & wreckers do.
      Dogs are not anatomically designed to use a potty. but they can be trained to be house-trained aka house-clean.

• Maxi

you could try rewarding him when he does something right

• Lv 5

Spot on. Ignore the bad, reward the good.