sun4ever asked in PetsCats · 11 months ago

What is best for my 8 year old cat?

I will be gone a month out of my state. I will be traveling by plane. Shall I take him with me or leave him with a very good friend who he knows very well. Either place will be very new to him. Driving by car, boarding at vet or having a in home pet sitter are not options for me. The place I’m staying will be nice and allows cats. My cat and I are very close and attached.

Favorite Answer

I, myself, would leave the cat with the person he knows!!! I think I would get stressed out moving the cat to different places and in different environments.

• Ocimom

If your cat is not used to traveling, leave him with the friend he knows. If your cat is ok with traveling and you are sure the place will allow him to stay with you, then take him with you. You will need to buy a plane ticket for your cat to ride in cabin in a carrier under your seat. Cat should be up to date on shots and rabies shots (may want to take those papers with you).

it depends upon your cat. my cat, for instance, starts meowing non stop after a while if i take him with me in a car in a carriage and he is scared of everything. if your cat is brave and is used to be in a carrier u may take him with u. i have seen people taking cats as luggage under the plane and they appeared to be fine - no meowing, just sitting in their carriers. my cat would probably get a stroke if he were left alone in a carrier for several hours

• I had a cat that would love to travel, granted it was always only two states over, but she seemed to see it as an adventure.

Not all cats would feel that way, though. A lot can have anxiety in a new place.

A month is a long time. How long have you ever been away?

When I left home for a bit over a month, the longest I had been away from her, my cat went into a depressed state, as if I was dead.

I'd want to bring my cat with me.

• PR

A month is a long time. If you leave your cat, he might think you have left him and it is hard to tell how he might behave.

Only you really know your cat, and it is hard to tell with animals how they will react. You could also try leaving your cat with the friend for a day or two and see how he reacts.

Another thing to consider is where you would be staying, and how this would work with the cat. Is this a hotel? Private home? Other pets there? If it is a hotel, where would the cat be during any time you are not there?

you could take him with you if you want

Leave with good friend. Anything else will be very expensive.