Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 5 months ago

I've noticed a lot of Computer Science majors I've graduated with don't have C.S. jobs. Is that normal?

I'll give examples of 5 C.S. graduates I got a Bachelor's degree with.

Person 1: has been looking for a C.S. job for 6 months and doesn't have one

Person 2: looked for a C.S. job for a few months, but couldn't find one and decided to try to get a Master's.

Person 3: has a job not closely related to C.S.

Person 4: quit his programming job because they wanted him to move a lot

Person 5: has a C.S. job but might quit it because she thinks it's too stressful

Favorite Answer

Based upon my experience, yes. I have my MS. A year after graduation, most of the folks I knew who graduated with me were either job hunting, had given up, or were underemployed in barely-related fields (like the guy who got a job selling computers to schools with Dell). The market is saturated.

• cool

Even if you had a faculty run by Donald Knuth, John Carmack, it would be impossible to produce a 'computer scientist' from a four year degree.

Knuth and Carmack were programming (or at least problem solving) since they first learned to read and write. They are also extremely intelligent.

That is why they are world-class engineers.

University cannot increase raw intelligence, nor can it replicate the skills of a lifelong hobbyist.

#1 should get a job (as employers do not like gaps) but still look for CS jobs.

#2 should also get a job and forget the masters. Getting a masters only adds to your prospects if you were already able to get a job with a bachelors. If getting a masters becomes a last resort, employers will pick up on that. It might sound harsh to say it, but education can sometimes make a person seem less qualified.

#3 should look for CS jobs (if they want one)

#4 probably made the right decision, engineers have a lot of bargaining power.

#5 might want to quit, unless the job is unusually well paid or interesting etc.

Not every CS grad wants to work in the area. Some want to do something else entirely. It is a good degree to have as it shows logic and can lead to all kinds of other things.

If the CS grad did no internships, he is SOL because all the better firms hire from their intern pool. Your first job defines you as that is where you do your primary training.

Of course if you went to a poorly ranked university, the best you can hope for is a code jockey job competing with the great unwashed of Bangalore. That might be what you are seeing.

#4 could become a loser who won't go with current job demands. #5 is a real loser as practically anything is "stressful" these days - lazy, unable to manage her time & energy, etc.

#1 needs to keep looking, and find a way to build portfolio, references, recommendations, e.g. volunteer skills to help a charity, community service, teach a computer class for a local homeless shelter's residents (enough to help them get some basic computer skills to find a job).

#2 could be a winner as master's degrees are valued in this field. But also needs EXPERIENCE - get it somehow while working on master's, as with #1.