Will renters insurance cover our negligence?

My wife and I have been renting our 2 bedroom apartment for the past 3 years. Earlier this year, we noticed water repeatedly showing up next to the tub and toilet in our bathroom, however, since when we saw it was after a shower, we assumed it was us not closing the shower curtain well enough. Fast forward to now... show more My wife and I have been renting our 2 bedroom apartment for the past 3 years. Earlier this year, we noticed water repeatedly showing up next to the tub and toilet in our bathroom, however, since when we saw it was after a shower, we assumed it was us not closing the shower curtain well enough. Fast forward to now and we are seeing some cracking in the drywall, as well as mushrooms sprouting from the trim behind the toilet. We realize that we are at fault for likely mold and water damage due to our negligence of not reporting this sooner. However, we were curious if our Geico Renter's insurance policy would likely allow us to claim this under liability? Our liability insurance says it will cover damages caused by us, but would that only cover accidental damage, or would or negligible damage likely be covered as well? Thanks for any help.
13 answers 13