no water coming from water heater?

No hot water coming from water heater. I have cold water in my entire house, when I turn the hot water on it runs a little but not hot, then stop running

Disconnect the HWT and hook to cold supply to the hot water outlet pipe. See if you can get cold water from the hot faucet. If you can, replace the HWT. If not, you have a valve in the system that has corroded and closed off.

The lining in the water heater tank has failed, exposing the steel to water.

Tank filled up with sediment blocking the inlet port.

check to see that inlet valve is not turned off. check that cold water works at the tap. if both of these are correct and you are a tenant, then call landlord for maintenance help. else, call for a handyman before calling for a plumber

Source(s): grampa

No information ABOUT YOUR WATER HEATER so that stops me from answering your question. Try again with more information.

The water heater may have valves for shut off at the wall, but otherwise it is a flow-through system powered by cold water pressure from the street.and limited only by the hot water faucets being shut off. If your bathroom sink has has two knobs and nothing comes out of the hot side then a valve is shut off at the water heater. Should run cold if water heather elements or electrical circuit took a dump. If you have cold water in the bathroom sink from the hot spigot, check the circuit breaker for the water heater.

I wait for about an hour and not hot water at all. I have cold water in my entire house. When I turn the hot water it run a little then stop.

No water at all, or no hot water? Can you get cold water?

If no water is coming out at all, chances are a valve is shut off in the line. Either at the tap or possibly the intake or outtake valve on the water heater. If this isn't the case, and if your water heater is very old, there may be too much lime/scale build up that is blocking the line.

Post any more information and I'll check back to help more.

-----------------------

Update: My guess would be that you have a scale problem in the line leading from your tank. The easiest thing to do is to replace the unit and run a new line from the tank. Preferably copper.

On more thing. If you have galvanized pipe running into and from the water heater, it might be best to replace as much of that as you can afford with copper pipe.

• No Bozos

Does cold water come out when you turn on the hot water faucet?

Check to see if the flow of water is correctly working and if not you may need to hire someone

• Henry

It has to heat the water first.