promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 10 months ago

I bought a painting at a garage sale for $1 and it's very valuable?

When I told the seller they threatened to sue me unless I returned it. What should I do?????

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

They can sue you. The burden is on them to prove you cheated them, that you took advantage of them somehow. If there is any evidence that you are an experienced buyer and seller of collectible items, and art in particular, they would have a potentially-winnable case. If you are a dealer, you have a legal responsibility to deal with people honestly. You cannot take advantage of someone who doesn't know the value of what they have when you do.

If you are just an occasional buyer and flipper and just took a chance, they aren't likely to meet the burden of proof necessary to win. That said, you were foolish to go back and tell them. What was the point of that?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

They can sue you. They won't win. You bought it in "good faith". They sold it for $1 because they thought it was junk. Their bad. This happens all the time. It's their problem, not your's.

But why did you even tell them?

• 9 months ago

You legally purchased the item. As long as it wasn't stolen at the time you purchased it, its your property free and clear. Their inability to value their items properly is their own fault.

Also, how would they have any clue of the items value now that you own it? Why did you tell the seller? Are they someone with whom you do business regularly? If that's the case, offer to give them a cut of the proceeds if you want.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

keep it or sell it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • P
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

That was pretty unfortunate of you to tell them that. Regardless it's a done deal. I would tell them to go ahead and sue you if they would enjoying losing $100's in attorney fees. Otherwise you should get that painting sold sooner rather than later. It may not be really worth as much as you think.

• 10 months ago

Let them sue you. You legally purchased it and I assume neither knew its true value at the time. Haven't you watched Antiques Roadshow to see all the valuable items purchased at garage sales?

• danxp2
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

Consult with a local attorney.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

They can’t sue you. You exchanged money. It’s a done deal.

• curtisports2
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

100% wrong. Anybody can sue anybody. This person wouldn't lose, but they can still be sued.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.