If a boy gets reassignment surgery before puberty, will he pass as a woman?

This is just a theory of mine. I'm not condoning this, but what if a boy says he is transgender and when he becomes 10 years old(which is well before male puberty), his parents finally allow him to get the surgery to become a girl? Theoretically he won't have his testicles during puberty so he won't get the testosterone to grow facial hair or manly features. Will he look and sound like a woman when he grows up without the need of hormones?

Also, if he consumes a lot of phytoestrogen-rich soy products instead of taking estrogen pills, will he develop feminine features such as hips and breasts?

• Sky
    Favorite Answer

Well, there's no reason a trans girl who gets the surgery during or after puberty wouldn't pass as a woman. But yes, you're absolutely right. I've read before about studies into that, the effects and benefits of a minor getting sex change surgery before puberty begins (or alternatively, receiving puberty blocking medication until the surgery can be performed to prevent puberty from beginning). Keep in mind that the treatments and surgeries are never done without full parental consent and without the advisement and supervision of a licensed therapist who specializes in gender identity issues who has done extensive analysis of the transgender child to confirm that he or she is in fact transgender.

Puberty is when the gonads and other hormone-releasing organs in the body start to generate hormones that cause the body to start maturing into an adult, and specifically becoming sexually mature. That's seen in the form of lower voices, facial hair, and growing genitals in biological males, and breast growth and vaginal changes in biological females. Once those changes happen, it's a little more difficult to correct through sex change surgery. By doing the surgery before puberty has had a chance to make those changes, the combination of healing from surgery and the hormone replacement therapy the individual receives, which gets puberty started, the body develops more naturally in the direction of that identified and reassigned sex.

The studies I read about concluded that for a transgender individual, transitioning earlier in life and undergoing surgery before puberty takes hold was more beneficial for the successful transitioning of the individual. I'm sorry I can't provide a link to the articles about the studies I read, because that was many years ago and I have no idea what the source was.

• Sky

Trans people don't skip puberty. If they are on hormone therapy, whether with or without sex change surgery, they still go through puberty. When it happens after surgery the puberty helps their new genitals develop correctly. Pull your head out of your *******.

Allegedly, look at Jamie Lee Curtis and you tell me?

• kelvin

no he won't as no qualified doctor would even do that surgery

I'm almost certain the medical profession would consider that unethical. Soya is not the best choice. Trifolium pratense is better.

Its believe that the sooner a person has the surgery the better are the results.

By the grace of God, I hope we never know.

Ten years old is not well before puberty. I had to shave when I was nine.

• Dr. D

Yes

He most likely will pass as a woman.

• Babaf10 months agoReport

You might pass with a lot of make up. But even before puberty, boys and girls look and sound different.

Even if a prepubescent boy gets sex reassignment surgery, he will need to take drugs for hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for life. These drugs are what causes the more feminized traits to emerge, from breast tissue to distribution of body hair to where fat deposits gather.

Because his testosterone production was not allowed to progress, he will not develop some of the male traits some trans women struggle to erase, like broad shoulders in comparison to hips, stronger jawline, thicker neck and chest musculature, and an Adam's apple. His voice will not deepen as much as if would have.

At what point we call him "her" is for her to decide, but I would think anyone would be hard-pressed to know she'd ever been male. That boy will not pass as a woman. She will *be* a woman.

I know people who have transitioned much later in life, and unless you were told they'd transitioned, you'd never know!

Seriously though, leave this to the individuals, and the professionals in the field!

• 10 months agoReport

The "professionals" in the field are leeches and predators who make a fortune off troubled souls -- leaving many of them suicidal and bankrupt.