Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 10 months ago

I want to go to the gym but?

I read that there are people who went to the gym and had heart attacks and died or almost died

i want to go to the gym and lose weight but this scares me, especially because my grandmothers on both sides have had heart attacks (one of them died because of a heart attack), my mom had a heart defect (its not detectable anymore) and her brother died of a heart attack (he had the same heart defect)

my dads family is prone to diabetes and his grandparents have had heart attacks and issues on both sides

now previously in p.e class in highschool i have fainted once and i have had dizziness and nausea spells like 4 times (in all 4 years)

however im 18 so my chances of them are low for my age

i had a blood exam around 6 months ago that showed i had normal results on everything (cholesterol, iron, etc)

my bmi is 25, i am pretty sedentary, and i have no known heart problems

what do you think?

Favorite Answer

If you are worried, talk to your doctor about you wanting to start gymming and he/she can do a general health check to make sure there is nothing that will predispose you to particular condition. While you talked about heart attack, this sounds like it has happened when they were much older and thus you are not in the same risk as their age bracket. I noticed you mentioned that there is a family history of heart defect, so it may be good to talk to your doctor if there are any test that you can do to rule it out. Hope I helped :)

If you are worried about it, consult your doctor.

I doubt you will have a heart attack at your age, and getting in good shape can actually help prevent heart problems.

But it won't hurt to ask the doctor.

Definitely walk or do other light aerobic exercise like cycling (not too intensely) or exercise machines at the gym like the rowers. When it comes to things that really get your heart going you should really speak to a qualified doctor, but in the meantime I'd personally try becoming more active for the health benefits that comes with, even if it means just walking for 15 extra minutes a day.

• if you are going to have a heart attack, you will have one, they can happen any time, anywhere, going to the gym will make no difference, so you may as well go to the gym, people with heart problems go to the gym still.