Justnoise asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

My 8week old kitten is having diarrhoea?

I got my 8 week old kitten 3 days ago and she has been having quite regular diarrhoea (3-5 times a day) :-( we have been feeding her whiskers kitten jelly food but changed to royal Canin dry food with Warm water to see if that would help but she’s still having diarrhoea. My partner rang the vet and we have an appointment next Wednesday but the vet doesn’t seem to be concerned as she’s only moved to a new home and has had a change of food but I’m scared incase she has been weaned too early or she has stomach problems. What do you think?

• Maxi

Change of home = diarrhoera

Change of food from breeder/rescue to your home = diarrhoera

change of food again = diarrhoera

Which is exactly what the vet is thinking

• Ocimom

By next Wednesday your kitten may be dead. Get the kitten in to see a vet NOW. You cannot let an 8 week old kitten have loose stools for more then a day or two without the kitten dying or being close to dying. Do NOT put water on dry food. You should only feed canned food 4 times a day for an 8 week old kitten. Changing the food quickly can make a cat or kitten sick.

• J C

That kitten needs a vet now - she is going to get dehydrated. Stop mixing water with dry food - it's sprayed with fats to make it more appealing, and quickly becomes a 'bacterial soup' when water hits it. You may be making the problem worse, Avoid foods that contain corn, as corn is not well digested by cats and that can contribute to very loose stool. The dry you chose is sadly full of corn. Yes, she has technically been weaned to early as it's during this period of 8-12 weeks where they learn important things like playing with claws in, not to bite, and mastering litter box skills. Feed her a quality canned kitten food that has a real meat (not by products) as the first ingredient, and ideally what she had been fed prior to getting her. It can be anything - worms, coccidia, giardia most likely. Get her seen TODAY not next week as you may have a very dehydrated and ill kitten by then. Be certain to take a nice fresh stool sample with you and ask specifically that it be tested for coccidia and giardia - those require a microscope slide, and are often not tested for as they are not part of the normal search for worms or worm eggs.

Worms maybe. Look for particles like rice grains around her backside. Roundworms are very common.

New homes and new food will definitely cause digestive issues, and is most likely the main cause, especially if the kitten is still acting normal otherwise. Keep an eye on the kitten, make sure she doesn't get too dehydrated or starts to act sicker, and she should be okay to wait to go to the vet. Make sure the vet does a fecal exam when you go for the appointment to rule out intestinal parasites.

I think your new kitten will have to be euthanized, I'm afraid. Sounds like parvo.

When kittens go to a new home it can be very stressful so not uncommon for them to get diarrhoea. Its important not to suddenly change their diet. You need to give them the same as where you got it from and then if you want to change it you need to do it slowly. The main worry with diarrhoea is they can become dehydrated so its important you make sure she keeps her fluid intake up. You can tell if she is dehydrated by gentle pinching her skin between your fingers and letting go ,it should quick spring back if it doesnt it means she is dehydrate so you need to try getvsone fluid in her or get her to a vet. As long as she is bright in herself then she is fine to wait to see vet till tomorrow.

• Turtle

my kitten had diarrhea when we first got him at around 10 weeks. His food was kept constant, the same brand they were feeding him at the shelter so it was most likely him adjusting to his new surroundings (either that or that he had secretly been eating dog food or that we thought it would be okay to give him cat treats which kittens apparently shouldn't have). Either way, I talked to the vet during our vaccine check-up and she said to try feeding him a bland diet of white rice and un-spiced/unseasoned cooked chicken at about a half-half ratio mixture. I fed him only that for a few days and soon his diarrhea was gone completely. In the meantime I would definitely monitor you kittens water intake and make sure she's drinking enough water because the diarrhea can be deadly for such a small fur baby, especially at 8 weeks.

• jlb

Tell your vet you would like to bring in a stool sample for testing to rule out a parasite or virus. If that tests negative it's probably safe to wait until your vet visit, provided she is active and eating and drinking well.

I think it's a very neglectful vet who wouldn't want to see a small kitten immediately. Try another as quickly as you can. Diarrhoea can kill kittens within hours. Don't try to save yourself money. Treat this as a veterinary emergency. And certainly scrub that first veterinarian off your list.