Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 10 months ago

Is someone a bad owner for letting their cat free Rome outside unsupervised?

Yes. When an owner put their pet at risk they are bad owners. I still don't get why people think its ok. Replace "cat" with any other pet and the answer is a resounding "duh" but with cats its debatable for some reason.

• Ocimom

I would not call them a bad owner - but I would call them an irresponsible or uninformed owner that needs to know why they should keep the cat inside or if outside, cat should be supervised.

Nope my kitty who is 14 healthy as can be name is bell gets to go where she pleases whenever she feels like it and also likes to leave dead animals in front of the back door. Not irresponsible if your cats dumb than tahys a problem

• PeaceOfMind9 months agoReport

Chill the **** out @mastercontrol i got two huge dogos also if they get in a fight with my cat my cat is always the one who wins. And yes I am perfectly fine letting my cat do her thang and go hunting. Biggest animal she ever caught was a bunny twice the size of her

Yes, someone is. That person should not have pets.

• J C

Free roaming cats are subject to so many bad things - getting squashed by cars, eaten by a predator, mauled by dogs, fighting with other free roaming cats, poisoned, and hauled off to animal control when your neighbor gets sick and tired of your cat preying at their bird feeder and crapping in their flower beds. Cats do NOT need to free roam outdoors. They are domestic animals and not wild ones - they have been domesticated for over a thousand years. Mine are perfectly happy in their cat trees, windows, and so on. If you insist on letting your cat out, then build him a catico - many plans and pictures are available online. Indoor only cats live a happy 14 years or more (it is not "imprisoning" them) and free roaming cats live an average of 2-5 years. Yes, there are indoor cats that die early and outdoor cats that live a long time - but these are the averages. So responsible people keep their cats indoors, and responsible people do not let their cats become a nuisance to other neighbors. I love cats - but I am considering getting a trap. A neighborhood cat comes into my yard, tears out any garbage she can find, poops in my flower beds, and chases the birds that I attract with a bird feeder. Your right to a free roaming cat ends when that cat becomes a nuisance.

• Sharon

definitely irresponsible. Outside cats are vulnerable to evil humans, cars, dogs, parasites, disease, animals such as foxes

The word is "roam"!

As for cats, no one owns a cat. This is a legal precedence that goes back for a long time. In most parts of the world that is the legal status of cat ownership. The cat owns itself.

So there are no "bad" cat owners.

No.....but it's better to keep them inside. They can get hit by a car, hurt by other animals or people or even get lost or taken by someone.

• Claire Dyer10 months agoReport

My cat got ran over by a car but he’s still alive living life BUT I would never let him out again

• Blonde

It depends. I own a farm so my cat is allowed to go outside. City dwellers maybe not.

• Blonde

I had a dog, who died of cancer two years ago, who used to free roam also. No chain, no leash. She had a doghouse outside and in warm weather stayed mostly outside. But as she got older, she perfured indoors, I put a doggy bed for her next to couch, she liked watching tv. (Blk Lab/G. Shepherd

It's bad for the animals outside and hazardous to your cat's health but beneficial for their mental health so... you decide.