University Degrees?

Hi , I'm a currently about to head into my final year of sixth form and I study the BTEC Extended Diploma in Musical Theatre. For the longest time I have wanted to be a musical theatre performer, but not so much a triple theatre but a singer / actor. I will be applying for unis and vocational schools in a few months and I am really having a hard time about which way I should go.

In terms of what I do, I am more on the singing side as to acting or dancing, and acting to me just seems like a chore at times. I would much rather just be up on stage singing than having to act through the songs. I cannot dance, I have to left feet and frankly just don't have the body for it.

My question is, do I still apply for Vocational Schools and Unis are start again going down a different path. I have found vocational courses and degrees that focus only on vocals so I would essentially only be doing the singing aspect. But some of these seem more geard towards musicans who read music and play instruments, none of which I do. So i am little stuck, any advice would be appreciated.

• Pope

Woah! Woah! Woah!

There is a lot of dreadfully bitter advice below from people that never followed their ambitions and now want to validate themselves by telling you yours are unachievable. don't listen to them:

I would strongly recommend accredited drama schools:

Mountview

Italia Conti

Arts Ed

Guildhall

LCM (Not accredited but decent)

There are lots more, those are some Musical Theatre focused ones.

Sure you might come out and not want to act, but going to a conservatoire that focus' on MT means you can learn music, and get your dancing skills up, while developing your singing voice further.

Get all this triple threat bullshit out of your head. Any skill can be applicable and get you a job, performing is so broad.

Most importantly, don't let people dissuade you from doing something you want to do. If you really want to pursue singing, you can eventually make money doing it and you should do it if only so you're not wasting your time doing things you don't like doing....which in my opinion is worse than being dead.

• Tina

Talk to your teachers about it. As you say you don't dance, or read music, and don't enjoy acting I think they may suggest you would have a problem getting into a drama school or on to a university course.

Perhaps you should consider Cogito's suggestion - if you keep singing as a hobby you may be able to do much more of it, and enjoy it more - and there is nothing to stop you taking singing lessons as well.

• John

You COULD be like America's Got Talent, you just never know. Our nephew graduated from drama school in LA - I forget the name. He has yet to get an acting job. I know two very separate academically trained singers. One sang the national anthem at San Diego Padres games for a time, one taught opera. Both have quit singing seriously, entirely. But it could be you. But keep your options open, too. Half the world can sing decently or better.

• Cogito

If you're in the UK, you're never going to get into Musical Theatre. You have to be a triple threat - truly brilliant at dancing, singing and acting. Two out of three isn't good enough.

And if you want to be an actor, you're going to have to get into a top drama school, not a university. Agents are not interested if you go to uni. Singing will still come in useful, but your main focus should be acting.

Just bear in mind that each of the drama schools gets over 5,000 applicants every year for only 24 places. That means 4,976 disappointed people at each of the dozen or so schools.

As for singing, very few people ever get to sing as a professional. It's largely a matter of luck.

You'd be far better off studying an academic subject which would lead to a good 'ordinary' job and keep singing as a hobby. Join a good local community theatre which specialises in musicals and you could have a wonderful time.

Good luck!

• Tim M

Do you want to learn about singing, or do you want to sing? A degree in singing won't impress people in the business. Only talent, drive and originality can do that. Study something that can earn you money, and look for all opportunities to sing and get experience right now.

And learn a few chords on guitar. It's not as hard as it may look, and it will teach you loads about how songs are put together.