What do CT scans show?

I had severe muscle pain yesterday and today mainly in my neck and upper body, so bad I couldn t move. Couldn t turn my neck, couldn t lift my arms, so I went to the ER.

They wanted to give me a CT scan and said it was mandatory. I got it done and after about half an hour later, they said it came back normal.

What do CT scans even show? If I had cancer, would it show? Does it show inflammation? They told me it was mostly muscle spasms or multiple pinched nerves.

• Pippin

NO medical tests are 'mandatory' if you are a competent adult.

Scans are focused on the part of the body being examined, so it would not show cancer elsewhere in your body.

• Mark

They show bone issues as well as soft tissue issues. The second part if what makes CT scans different and sometimes (not always) better than just x-rays, which only show bones and cartilidge, sort of. By, the way, no medical tests are "mandatory". Are you sure they didn't say something like "strongly encouraged"? Yes, advanced cancer would show. But a blood test could also inform you that you have cancer cells growing in your body, and a lot sooner than before you got a "lump".