Can my story have it's own version of the Infinity Stones?

So i'm creating a story, And it's going to be really big (It's a fictional universe basicly), And i've been wondering: Can i have objects similar to Infinity Stones?

To elaborate, There's already an old artifact that can create life (Whole species at a time), But what if the owner/creator of that artifact had objects (Stones, Crystals, Anything that looks like a rock) that controled aspects of existence, Not reality, Soul or time, Because messing with time is impossible in my story, Soul is just a concept and not an actual thing, And there's already spells for illusions in the magic system. What about power to just make the person stronger, Space for portals and mind (Since there's already a mind-controlling device used on an entire civilization,Which could be changed to being by the Infinity Stone rip-off). Am i allowed to name them something like [made up word] crystals, And they have to be harnessed with something else in order to use, But when they are put in the life-creating artifact, The person has control over the galaxy/universe? Or is the idea/concept copyrighted?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Logan
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

You can but you have to make them different to the infinity stones. They can be like, infinity stone adjacent. Using crystals as conduits for power is very common in fantasy stories, using any kind of conduit for powerful magic that's super old is generally what's done rather than making spells to do it.

• 4 months ago

You can't copyright an idea. Plenty of stories have objects that grant enormous power to whoever holds them, or whoever is strong enough/brave enough/pure enough to wield them. I wouldn't worry about ripping off Marvel unless more than a couple of the objects grant similar powers to the Infinity Stones.

• Speed
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I have no idea what Infinity Stones are, but if a person well-read in the genre would know, then you shouldn't use the idea--not because it's copyright-protected but because it's unoriginal.

It sounds to me like you need to do further thinking in terms of world-building so you have How Things Work all in place before you start writing. You don't want to write yourself into a corner where you have to borrow someone else's idea to escape.

FYI, using "it's" when you mean to use "its" will get you rejected. Common error, but you need to do better.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.