y asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 12 months ago

I am Japanese and would like to know the subtle difference in English.?

Update:

Are these sentences correct? If so, how are they different?

1. The population increased two times.

2. The population increased to two times.

3. The population increased by two times.

Is it possible to replace “times” by “folds”, and “two times” by “twice”?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    12 months ago
    Favorite Answer

1. The population increased two times.

No native English speaker would say this. It sounds like the population increased on two different occasions. If you want to say "the population doubled" you say "the population doubled."

2. The population increased to two times.

Same thing, but not even grammatical. You could use "to" with a number. "The population increased to 100 million." You could also say "the population increased to twice its former size," an awkward way to say "the population doubled."

3. The population increased by two times.

Again ungrammatical, but you can use "by" followed by an amount. "The population increased by 100 million" or "the population increased by 100%."

Say the population went from 10,000 to 40,000. You can say it increased by 30,000. You can say it quadrupled. You can say it increased fourfold. If the population increased by an in-between amount, like 140%, you can't use the last method.

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

As a japanese american, I will help you....

If what you want to say that the population is now twice the population before then my answers:

1. this means that the population has increased two times before and different from what you want to say.

2. this is grammatically wrong.

3. this is grammatically correct but rarely used.

The easiest and grammatically correct to say that the population is now twice the population before, you simply write "the population has doubled than before". It is commonly used in media and newspapers.

Source(s): English is my native tongue. But my race is japanese....
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

1. The population increased two times. (This means that on two occasions, there was a population increase.)

2. The population increased to two times. (This isn't English at all)

3. The population increased by two times. (This is also incorrect)

If you mean that the population increased to twice its original size, you could say

The population increased by 100%, or

The population doubled, or

The population increased two-fold.

The 'fold' part is always singular - two-fold, three-fold, four-fold - etc.

Two times CAN mean twice, but it doesn't always.

Twice, however, always means two times.

• 12 months ago

All are wrong.

1) The population increased two times - it MIGHT mean the population doubled, but it could just mean there were two small increases.

2) This is simply wrong

3) As is this

You could say 'the population increased twofold', but I'd say 'the population doubled'

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.