donald asked in SportsOlympics · 3 months ago

If the winner of an Olympic race gets disqualified do they strip their first place medal and give it to the guy that finished in 2nd?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

The Ben Johnson stripping of his win/medal happened at the same Olympics. Marian Jones who won medals in the 2000 Olympics, but was only found to have used performance enhancing substances later. As I saw mentioned on another sight she had to give up those medals she took home and they were duly awarded (how I have no idea) to the athlete who placed after her. This also included her relay team members. How to get medals to and returned to exchange your bronze for a silver from all those involved must have been a nightmare and took months and years to sort out/accomplish.

I am not picking on Marion Jones. She owned up to her mistake and paid with punishment. There have been several such cases as hers and not all cheaters caught, but for people of my generation she is notable and I still think a very exceptional athlete.

• 2 months ago

That's exactly what happened in the 1988 men's 100m. Ben Johnson finished first but failed his drug test a few days later, so the gold medal was taken from Johnson and awarded to Carl Lewis.

• 3 months ago

Yes, but there is a time limit. Some past drug users have been allowed to retain their awards etc.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Yes that's what happens- most of the time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

Yes usually. Second gets gold. Third gets the silver. Fourth gets the bronze. But there are exceptions.

In some team sports where the winning team had someone disqualified, the entire team did not lose their medals but the person that was disqualified was stripped of the medal. An example is Marion Jones. The US won the 2000 4 x 100 m and 4 x 400 m relay but Jones was caught doping a few years later. The US team were stripped of their medals but later returned except for Jones.

In some cases, the medal is vacated. In events like wrestling where 2 bronze medals are given to third place winners. If the gold or silver medalist is disqualified, then the bronze medalists don’t get to move up because it’s 2 athletes and only so many silver medals were made. If the 2 bronze gets upgraded then 1 of them won’t get a medal.

• donald3 months agoReport

Okay so they do get promoted If somebody is caught dopeing?

• 3 months ago

probably but most likely they there will be no actual winner, just second place maybe.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.