Donating food is supposed to be better than donating cash as the latter is likely to be misused.What is your view about this?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • B
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

cash can be misappropriated by the administrators and the needy, better to give food directly (not cash cards, not food store cards, just real food like protein bars)

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I think donating your time is better than just passing over money... money may ease your guilt, easy to do and move on, whereas your time is thought through and genuine.

• RICK
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

If you are talking about to individuals begging on the street corners, yes that is normally true

Many of those holding signs that say "homeless vet" never served a day in uniform and those that say "homeless" have better houses then half the city

If you are talking about food banks and other legit charities then no cash is better

• Jenny
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Depends on who you are donating to. If it's a homeless person on the street, yes, donating food is better than cash because cash could be used for drugs or alcohol. If you are donating to the Food Bank, money is better because the Food Bank is a non-profit organization that doesn't have to pay sales taxes so they can buy more for the same amount of money that you are spending on the food you are donating.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

Donating MONEY is what ALL the charities want. They can spend the money on what they Need.

Food donations are "feel good" for the donor, Too difficult to store,Too difficult to distribute, And are usually Crap that the donor needs to get rid of.

Besides which, The Charity professional money beggars take up to 90% of the donations as fees, How they gonna take food and not need to sell it for less to keep their fees.

• 4 months ago

Eh...food waste is a serious problem. I'd prefer to give money, which can be used to purchase whatever is needed wherever it is needed. If I donate food in one place, at the very least, they need to get it to where it is needed...which includes cost.

I don't think cash is misused by the vast majority of charities out there...

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

They can get food cheaper than you. Unless you mean to some bum on he street. I don't donate though.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Not true. Donating cash to a food pantry allows them to buy food from their local food bank at a substantially discounted price. Food donations are always welcome, but they can buy more with the same amount of cash.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Depends on who you're donating too.

A legitimate food bank can do better with cash donations. They can negotiate lower purchase prices than retail and they can ensure that they are purchasing what is most needed for their recipients.

• gerald
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

we donated billions to the Bankers when they went bust they wasted it, we should have given them cake instead do you think there was a difference than with your homeless guy I don't

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.