Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo MailAbuse and Spam · 4 months ago

Is acting better as a part time job?

Useful to have a main job to rely on instead of making acting the main profession?

Favorite Answer

Yes. It's very difficult to "break into" acting as a full-time profession. The vast majority of actors need to work a regular job just to pay the bills. There are some very fine actors out there who don't depend on performing for their livelihood; they do it for the love of it. It's the same for musicians and artists of all kinds, not just actors.

It's unfortunate, but that's how it is.

Acting is full time until it isn’t.

In the US there’s talk of a “gig economy” - where temporary positions are common and organizations contract with independent workers for short-term engagements.

That’s what acting career is. Every acting job is temporary and you always have to worry about when (and if) you’ll get another job. Actors often work other “gigs” when they’re not acting.

So it’s not full time or part time as much as temporary.

• Cogito

Acting is almost always a part-time occupation!

It's unusual for any actor, even after a decade of training and gaining experience, to get more than ten days' paid acting work a year.

Most actors have to work an ordinary job alongside all the auditioning, rehearsing, unpaid work and the rare day or so of paid acting work.

Most working actors have full time day jobs while they act. Acting is always temporary work. A steady paycheck is needed to pay the bills.

It takes a lot of work and hustling to work "full time" as an actor. It is only in the last 11 years that all my income comes solely from performance work. It also means that I rarely have a day off and I don't go on a vacation much any more.

• ajtheactress

I am. All I ever wanted to be was a working actor.

I'm never going to be wealthy but acting makes my life rich.

Hmmmm.. it depends on the situation

It is a part time job in that you are employed for a (usually) fixed term contract rather than a full time 365 day a year type job. When you are working on a show, you don't have time to do anything else, but you might need something when between jobs.

It would be a fine full time job, IF you can find full time work. Because acting work is generally part time and irregular, to pay bills you may need another type of job

For a lot of actors it is only ever a part time job. Even the best find themselves 'resting' between parts whilst the bills mount up.