How to identify electricity behind the walls?

Hello

Is there any easy device to use to identify if there is electricity cables, wires etc.. behind the wall in case I wanted to drill ?

Regards;

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

Get one of those detector things. The alternative is potential death.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Stud finders also find many wires or pipes. Other than that look to see where the outlets are. Electricians are cheap bass turds so it is a direct line to the next outlet about 1 foot up and then they drill across through studs to the next box and then across to the next box.( a straight path is the shortest route, so means using less wire.)

. Check out a house being constructed still in the framing stage and look before they "board it" with sheet-rock or gypsum board (drywall is another term used) as the electrician will have roughed in the wiring on the walls and you can see how they are hanging. You want to drill, so you want to drill into a stud...as drywall is not strong. ...so your stud finder finds the stud and you drill into wood. Wiring is nowhere near it.

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Assuming that you are talking about typical house construction and sheetrock walls, what you need to do is visit a house that has been wired and the sheetrock walls are not up. That should give you a good example of the general routing of the wires. Then you look for the boxes and that gives you specific location. So you avoid those areas. Once you get a good location, drill a small hole through the sheetrock where you plan on putting the new box (?). Stick a hooked wire through and feel around. You should be able to tell what is there by the way the wire hangs up. Then carefully cut the hole to size for the box you will install. A few years ago, I had to use a hole saw through a brick wall that was only a few inches from a 220 volt line to a water heater. So I armored the electrical cable with some cut metal cans and taped them to the wire. Luckily, I missed the wire, and left the cans, and patched the hole by floating the sheetrock. The repair is invisible unless you know the history. But you have to plan the work all the way through repairing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

Yes, there are devices that are capable of doing that. Many stud finders have that as a feature. They can be purchased at most hardware stores and big-box home centers.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

There are stud finder tools that can detect metal, and one tier up from those are the ones that can also detect live wires. That's the kind you want. They're about $50.

I don't generally worry about whether there's wiring because you can look directly below, directly above, and on the ceiling in line with your projected drilling site. If there are no devices below, above or on the ceiling lined up with where you want to drill, the odds of hitting wiring are very low.

NOTE: this same logic works for water lines. If you aren't in a space where there is plumbing, there's virtually no chance of hitting plumbing (assuming, of course, that you aren't drilling on the other side of the wall from a bathroom or kitchen).

So you can think it through and be pretty sure, or you can spend $50 and be certain.

Good luck with it.

• 4 months ago

JetDoc has the best answer. Look for one that is battery powered.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Go to your local home improvement store and buy an electronic "Stud Finder". There are several on the market that will also show electric cables and other hard items like gas and water lines behind your walls.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.