Who is responsible for overhanging tree branches?

God: so even God can be a PITA sometimes.

Whejyejjfeeujefje Ufjunueju

The actual answer depends upon the applicable laws in your anonymous jurisdiction. Maybe edit and update the question with more details and someone can help you out.

If the tree comes from their property over into your property, it's the owners responsibility, sometimes shared IF the owner takes care of their property. In the case of our HOA, the tree limb was overhanging the sidewalk, so you couldn't walk on the sidewalk, a violation letter was sent and in 7 days the limbs were cut down. Don't let anyone say HOA's are totally a waste, a active HOA get's on it.

Only Donald Trump has the gall buy air space over property he does not own. Cut 'em up!

Picture an imaginary wall from the ground to the sky, on your boundary line. Whatever is on your side of the boundary, is yours to maintain. So, the branches that overhang onto your property are yours to do as you please. You see, if your neighbor came onto your property to trim that overhanding branch, that would be trespassing. And, if he hurt himself doing so, that would be a possible claim on your homeowner's insurance policy.

It is neighborly to tell your neighbor that the branch is a bother and you plan to trim it. Then do so and remove the debris yourself because it is yours now.

• Common Sense

Laws vary from state to state. I sited the laws in MY state. I know this for a fact because of real life experience with a tree and a neighbor.

• drip

Ask at your city/town hall.

I live where everybody has fruit trees. If a branch overhangs into my yard then the fruit on that branch is mine. I wait till they ripen and pick them. Cherries, peaches, apples does not cause me a concern . I benefit from his tree planting. If the tree is just a Maple, so sheds its leaves and that is all it can do then I have the right to cut everything that hangs over. That also applies to tree roots coming underground and uprooting my fence. I can disconnect the root from the tree by digging on my side and chopping the root away from the fence. The rest I leave underground as it will slowly decay and rot and die once it is disconnected from the tree trunk. Which may take a dozen years...who cares as it is not growing anymore.

. You can cut off the branch. That is called pruning (like a haircut)

You can not spray it with poison as that kills the whole tree(Roundup or Killex) The tree is his property...so has a value. Which he can take you to court and you have to pay for. Pruning the tree will not kill it but will make it take awhile(several years) before another branch MIGHT grow your way.

depends on state law where you live. in my state, the property owner under the branches has the right to cut them but parking under them is at the risk of the person who parks there [not at the risk of the property owner whose tree it is].

why? trees were here before people and their things

Where, what, how? No information so I'd not even give a guess here.