How can a person get HPV virus if they are not sexually active?

I developed black plantar warts on one of my heels when I was 17 years of age. I wasn't sexually active. It developed out of nowhere. I had a couple of single spots develop on my heel and that developed into about 5 by the end. They grew larger and then the skin hardened around them and it hurt to walk. After I... show more I developed black plantar warts on one of my heels when I was 17 years of age. I wasn't sexually active. It developed out of nowhere. I had a couple of single spots develop on my heel and that developed into about 5 by the end. They grew larger and then the skin hardened around them and it hurt to walk. After I went vegan, a good month or so later, they started to come to the surface (the black dots which I believe is just dried blood). I pulled them out with tweezers and they never came back again.

Do you think the virus just went away, or do they usually move toward the surface and drop off? I don't have any abnormal growths on my skin or anything. It was just those warts which developed and then they never came back...
Update: By the way, I only remember them lasting a few weeks to a couple of months. I've read they can last for 2 years or so...