Lisa asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 8 months ago

What is Japanese junior high school like? (I'm moving there)?

Hi everyone,

I'm a 14 year old girl & I'll be moving to Japan soon. I'll be in a local junior high school. I'm half Japanese so I speak the language (kanji is a different story tho).

What's school like? How strict is it? How much homework would I get? How will I do in school? How are the uniforns?

What will I usually get for school lunch? What if I don't like a food?

Would I have to drink milk in school (I don't like it; my mum said she had to drink it as a kid)? Is it a lot?

Sorry for all the questions, hope it's not too much. I've heard a bit from my mum too but it's been a long time since she was in school. Thanks everyone! If you have any more info or advice it'll be greatly appreciated :)

• Robin

you need two uniforms as summer and winter are different plus a gym kit and swimsuit

lunch is the bento box you brough with you: you eat in the classroom

you have to clean the classroom yourself.

Source(s): i used to teach English in Japan two years ago
  • Bob

Japanese Junior High Schools are tough. At elementary school, kids still have a decent amount of freedom to be themselves, wear what they like etc but once they hit JHS, the educational gloves come off and they start the robotic rote learning necessary to get them through to the end of HS and out the other end as a functioning member of society.

Seifuku (uniforms) for girls at JHS tend to be pretty similar throughout the land and will be a variation of this theme: http://nakamura-njh.ed.jp/life/img/uniform/btn-jh....

School is strict with a heavy focus on remembering facts to pass exams. Extra-curricular clubs and activities will also take up much of your time. Expect lots of homework and probably needing to go to juku (cram school) after normal school too.

Kyuushoku (school lunches) are great in Japan - really healthy and balanced meals. MUCH better than school food in the US. Rice is likely to feature every day so get used to eating lots of that, although with a Japanese mum, I expect that's no problem!

If you can speak nihongo, you're off to a good start but I really recommend trying to improve your kanji as much as you can. Until you have a reasonable ability with reading and writing, daily school life is going to be tough.

So much will depend on where exactly you are. A large JHS in a city is going to be a different beast from a small one in a rural area. Wherever you end up, I hope you'll be warmly welcomed and will have a great time!