Is it possible for people to get back together in the future?

my ex boyfriend of 1 year and 5 months recently broke up with me. He says it’s because we are going to College and he doesn’t want to hurt or disappoint me if when things get difficult. It is also a pivotal point for the sport he’s playing and if he doesn’t make it and focus then he wouldn’t have a good future. I... show more my ex boyfriend of 1 year and 5 months recently broke up with me. He says it’s because we are going to College and he doesn’t want to hurt or disappoint me if when things get difficult. It is also a pivotal point for the sport he’s playing and if he doesn’t make it and focus then he wouldn’t have a good future. I also need to start focusing on school as I am planning to get into med school and pursue a career as a doctor. He says he cares and still has feelings for me but he doesn’t want to be together. He’s not the type of guy that hurts me if he didn’t think it was best for my and his future. I also know that this break up was hurting him a lot because he cried a lot after the break up and he cried the last time I talked to him. We had a really strong relationship and were like two peas in a pod. We were always happiest around each other. We were both each other’s first loves. I understand that I need to move on and grow into my own person. It feels like something is telling me to stop worrying and trust the process because it is not the end for us. I’m not a big fan of believing in fate but I just don’t think that feelings and love like that can disappear