Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

How to write a moral story with amazing characters when I'm not like that?

How can I preach morals in a story when I might not always be able to keep to those morals/ how do I write a story about people that are extraordinarily brave and good when im not.

(maybe some writers can do it because they don't feel like a hypocrite spiritually--which is fine we all have different faiths)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You can write what you believe even if you can't live up to it.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Logan
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Writing is an industry made on lies. If you can't do so then you probably won't last long. Another thing is, your story isn't about you. It's about your characters. It's got nothing to do with what you personally can make yourself do or think unless it's a biography. Your characters are not you and you are not your character.

• 6 months ago

Preaching is maybe not the best thing to go for - it tends to put readers off and feel more annoying than anything else.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I wish I could help you on that, but as we all know, per Writer's Code, Part IV, Section 9, Sub-section 37-Q, Article 6:

"All writers must write only those plots and characters that reflect who they are as people, furthermore, any and all preachy, morals-type stuff must also be representative of the author, lest said author wishes to have his or her feet tickled with dried bulrush 18 hours per day for a span of 31 days and be forced to write book reports on each and every volume in the "Sweet Valley High" series at the rate of 6 per day until completion."

Hey, I don't make the rules. And in the past, they were much harsher.

Asimov was burned at the stake for writing about aliens without actually being an alien, whereas Bradbury, who was able to substantiate that he was actually born in the Libra System, had his citation dismissed.

These are not the type of people you want to mess with, so fly straight.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Speed
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

An important part of writing is being able to get inside the heads of characters who are nothing like you. A good writer can be in the viewpoint of a child, a person of the opposite sex, an old crone, a person from another culture, even an animal or alien creature. So writing as a brave and good person isn't much of a stretch.

But preaching at your reader is destined to fail. Nobody likes to be preached at except those who already believe and don't need it. (Hence the phrase "preaching to the choir.") You don't preach, you tell a good story that contains a moral lesson. Brush up on simple examples by reading Aesop's Fables.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

To be honest, trying to 'preach morals' in a story is a really bad idea.

That sort of thing always comes over as patronising and condescending.

Of course having characters with good morals is great, but if its purpose is to teach or preach - forget it.

As for creating characters which are not like you, that's what almost all writers do. They use their imagination.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.