Sarah asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 9 months ago

My parents treat my straight sister different than me despite her being younger and her relationship being as long as mine. Help?

I'm a gay women; my parents found out about 2 years ago, 1 month into my current gf and I dating. My brother who was 14 at the time outed me. I told him and my sister cause I was trying to build the confidence to tell my parents and him being a stupid child told them when he got pissed off at me. My dad especially threw a huge fit and treated me like **** when they found out cause he wasn't told first. He had confronted me about a year or so before then, but I didn't feel comfortable telling him then because I was still unsure and he was being incredibly ignorant. I wanted to tell him first when I figured it out cause he asked me first, but I felt more comfortable telling my siblings cause I knew they wouldn't care. My dad accused me of putting a burden on my siblings then got mad cause he felt like he was being understanding and should have been told first. I told him that I appreciated that he talked to me, but that I was still scared to tell him. He didn't understand my perspective at all. It's been better since then, but he still is very ignorant and clearly treats me different than my straight siblings. My sister and her bf are given more support despite the fact that they're 20 and still barely adults. My parents were cool with them living together, but said it was a bad idea for my gf and I. My gf and I are 23, have been together the same amount of time as my sister and her bf, but are treated like the children. I don't know how to handle the obvious discrimination.

• Foofa

You're hardly the first LGBTQ+ person to have to deal with intolerant parents. You'll have to accept the fact that they're of a mindset that can probably never fully accept your orientation. But that doesn't mean they don't love you and you'll have to focus on the care and attention they gave in raising you to be a stable adult. It's not easy and I'm not trying to be trite. But some people will just never be able to normalize such things. Live your best life with your loving partner and agree to disagree with your parents. that's about all you can do.

maybe you should talk to them about it

Unfortunately your never going to get everyone to accept your lifestyle . It hurts when it’s your parents . Since you can’t change people your going to have to accept the way they are . Doesn’t mean you have to like it.

If you feel uncomfortable around your dad and family and they give you grief then I recommend to limit your exposure to them.

What ever you do don’t ever hate them . Hopefully someone day they will accept your choice on how to live your life

I usually see parents come around and accept how their children are instead of how they believe they should be.

You don't need anyone's approval for your how you live your life. Make yourself rare and don't go begging and whining. It's YOUR life and love.