Is there something I can use under gloss to cover marks, holes, staples etc?

I'm painting my stairs but the steps are covered in marks, holes and imbedded nails/staples. Is there a product which can smooth out the step before glossing?

Favorite Answer

Pull out all the nails and staples with pincers. Fill the holes with two pack filler, sand down, vacuum up dust and use an undercoat to form a good base for the gloss. Preparation is everything in painting.

you remove the protruding staples, etc. then you fill the step with wood putty or similar product. then you finish the steps with your coating product

Prep them by removing any loose flaking paint, pulling out staples and tacks (or driving them in with a punch if you can't get them out). If the paint is poorly adhering I would take it all off with a hot air gun. Then fill all holes, voids, splits with an epoxy filler or a flexible caulk and when dry sand off flat - easier with an electric sander. Apply an oil based undercoat or stainblocker and then paint. Regular gloss isn't the best finish for stair treads, you should use a pukka floor paint, but rubber pads would still be advisable to prevent slips and deaden noise. Gloss paint is OK if you are having a carpet runner.

The only good solution is to get rid of the cause of the marks.

That will mean removing all the staples and pulling out all the nails. If you can't pull them out, drive them in deeper using a nail punch. At this stage, it will look worse than when you started, so you move on to the next stage.

Using a decent wood filler, fill all the holes and scrapes and leave it to dry/set. Use a fine sandpaper to smooth the filler.

Now you have a smooth surface to paint but it is not a good idea to go straight to gloss. It would benefit from having an undercoat before the gloss coat. Ideally, you'd use a primer before the undercoat but, realistically, most of it was already painted so I'd go straight to an undercoat - if time and money permit.

What I am suggesting is a big job. It would be an even bigger job in the future if you leave it and gloss over it.

I suppose it depends whether it is your property and how nice you want it to look.