How long do jarred olives and sun dried tomatoes last?

I have a jar of olives and a jar of sun dried tomatoes that I bought a few weeks ago (about three weeks I think) and completely forgot I opened them. I only ate I few out of each but it says on the label that they’ve passed they’re consumption time. It seems such a shame and a waste to throw them away. The sundried tomatoes look and smell fine and so do the olives apart from the ones at the top that haven’t been submerged in brine look a little dehydrated. They haven’t left my refrigerator since last time I ate them but I’m still kind of on the fence as to wether I should eat them or not. Are they still safe to eat?

• denise

The ones that havent been in in the brine might be dry [throw them if your'e not sure], the others could be used in an 'Arrabiatta' / Marinara sauce to use them up.

Drain the sun dried tomatoes, chop them up and add to a bread / roll / dough recipe or in a cold pesto & pasta salad.

It actually says, " this product has passed their consumption time"?

I bet not.

I would love to see the actual label.

• rena

As long as they don’t smell and there is no visible mould, and they are being kept in the refrigerator, they should be perfectly fine to eat.

They will be fine. The 'use by' date is a guess by manufacturers. They aren't there to see or assess the state of the product. I'd suggest using the sundried tomatoes in a cooked dish so that they are heated through thoroughly before consumption and they will be fine. Olives are fine until any mould appears on the surface of the brine. (Usually months, due to the high salt content of the brine). What on earth did we all do with food before all the current legislation came into place with regard to 'safety'? What we did was what you did. You use your eyes and sense of smell and just proceeded with a tiny bit of caution.