Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 11 months ago

I want my court case to be heard in private?

how do I make sure that no members of the public gallery/outsiders hear my court case?

ive got an case coming up in November and the case is being heard in a county court

I aint interested in any press or media attention or attention from the public gallery

UK

Favorite Answer

Tough. If you want privacy, settle outside court. Court cases are open to anyone to attend, except where the judge (rarely) orders otherwise. You'd need a very good reason to ask for that, normally it is only done where the case involves children. You won 't get it just because you don't fancy the idea of the public hearing about you.

• Clive

No chance. Justice must be SEEN to be done so courts are public If you want to settle the matter in private, then go to arbitration.

Though probably there will hardly be any members of the public there. The only times a court sits in private is if a matter of national security is involved, such as trying a spy for espionage.

• Maxi

UK: Court is open to the public, apart from family court which is privately heard........... so unless the case is in the family court you don't have an option

There's nothing you can do to ensure that your case will be heard in private. It goes against the nature of the legal system.

You resolve the issue outside of court via settlement agreement that stipulates confidentiality.

This is one of the reasons attorneys recommend settling out of court or not filing a lawsuit in the first place, if the issue can be resolved sans litigation.

Generally, when you sue someone in the US, it is a matter of public record. Certain parts of proceedings may be sealed to protect minors, but usually everything is heard in public, and all the documents can be accessed by anyone who wants them. Everything private gets aired in public in a lawsuit.

I'm not aware of any lawsuit where it was sealed in its entirety.

Judges may order media or the public at large to stay out of his/her courtroom, but there needs to be good reason for this (e.g. the Michael Jackson case).

*I am a CA licensed attorney; the information above is not legal advice but general principles, only. No communication with me shall establish an attorney-client relationship. Why am I here? Because I am bored, need a social life, and trying to make sure my law school knowledge isn't completely gone.*

To avoid publicity, a wise litigant would agree a process other than a county court case because, in a system of open justice, the courts are open to the public. This is not always an option, especially if you are the one being sued. There can be exceptions in the High Court in extreme cases on application to the court but they are rare. Sorry but there is not much you can do to avoid publicity but, in most cases, the public is really not interested.

There is well known adage -- "justice must not only be done, but also to be seen as done'.

You can ask for it - but you'll need some very good reasons. One of the basic foundations of a democratic society is that court cases are public (ok, AFAIK the US does have a secret court), mainly in order to avoid corruption among the judges, and you'll need a very good reason to set your private concerns above those of society.